The camera I might be getting...

Discussion in 'Beyond the Basics' started by mojoses, Nov 30, 2004.

1. mojoses

mojoses TPF Noob!

Can some of you take a look at this and tell me if it would be any good for my first camera!?

:?

Its a FujifilmA607...

here's a pic:
    [​IMG]

It's got:

3.1 million pixel effective
    6 million pixel output
    PictBridge enabled
    3x optical zoom
    16mb XD memory card
    1.6x digital zoom
    Movie mode facility
    1.5" TFT screen
    XD Memory Type
    Continous shooting mode

Picture Resolution: 3.1 million pixels
    Optical Zoom: 3 times magnification
    Motion picture recording Yes
    LCD Screen Size: 1.5 inches
    Size of Memory Card Included: 16 mb
    LCD Screen: Yes
    Memory Card: 16 mb
    Memory Type: XD
    Aperture/Shutter priority: Not Specified
    Continous shooting mode: Yes
    USB Connection: Yes
    Video Output: Yes
    Digital Zoom: 2 times magnification
    Resolution Settings: 4
    View Finder Real Image: Optical
    Manual Exposure: Yes
    Manual Focus: Not Specified
    Image modes: Not Specified
    Manual ISO overrides: Not Specified
    Multi mode flash: Yes
    Exposure compensation: Yes
    Self timer: Yes
    External flash terminal: Not Specified
    Picture Effects: Not Specified
    Camera Weight: 150 g
    Body Colour: SILVER / BLUE
    Metal body: Not Specified
    Battery Supplied: Yes
    Type of Battery Included: 2 X AA
    Wrist Strap Supplied: Yes
    Case Supplied: Not Specified
    Software Supplied: No
    SLR Optical Zoom: Not Specified
    Auto/Manual exposure: Yes
    Battery life (up to): Not Specified
    Connection Type: USB

It's a lot of stuff but some of it I don't understand so I need a bit of help!!

was £249.89
    was £149.00
    save 60%
    price £99.00

thankies

2. mojoses

mojoses TPF Noob!

*twiddles thumbs*

Any body?? *echo*

:cry:

3. Hertz van Rental

Hertz van Rental TPF Noob!

Depends on what you want to do with it - but it looks like a bargain to me. Go for it.

4. ksmattfish

ksmattfish Now 100% DC - not as cool as I once was, but still

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    I need more info about the photographer than the camera to answer this question. :)

5. ferny

ferny TPF Noob!

I can't find a great deal of information of it. Someone has said that is a 'limited edition' A340 from Canada and Europe. There's a link to a review of the A340 at the end of this post.

I can explain some of it for you.

3.1 million pixel effective - It will give you an image size of 3.1 after you have taken the picture. I'm not sure on the dimensions it'll give you, but it'll be around 2048 x 1536.

6 million pixel output - I think that refers to the size of the sensor. It's not all that important if it is. The physical dimensions can be, but at this price range not really. If that is what it means, that is. I wouldn't pay too much attention to this spec. It's there to make it look good.

PictBridge enabled - Not sure what that is. I think it means you can hook it up to a printer and print straight from the camera. Erm, don't quote me here please. :mrgreen:

3x optical zoom - The high end of the optical zoom (the glass lens) is three times greater than the widest setting. So it could be 38-114mm (film equivalent).

16mb XD memory card - It takes XD cards (a type of memory card, check amazon.co.uk for prices) and comes with a 16MB version. That'll give you around 10 images with this camera set to its highest quality.

1.6x digital zoom - The digital zoom crops the centre of the image and blows it up slightly. They call this a digital zoom because it's done with computer witchcraft. Because it gets blown up it loses some quality. Most people never bother using the digital zoom. It's more of a gimmick than useful feature.

Movie mode facility - It can record movies (about 26 seconds worth with that card).

1.5" TFT screen - The LCD on the back is a 1.5" Totally Flat Screen. Pretty much what you'd expect.

XD Memory Type - Done.

Continous shooting mode - You can continuously shoot photos. :mrgreen: About 3 a second with this camera until the card or camera buffer gets full.

Aperture/Shutter priority: Not Specified - You probably can't set the aperture of shutter speed. It'll be automatic.

USB Connection: Yes - You can plug the camera straight into the PC via the USB port.

Video Output: Yes - I assume this means you can plug it into your TV straight from the camera. That will allow you to view the photos and videos on TV.

Resolution Settings: 4 - You've got a choice for four size images. Biggest, Big, Medium and small.

View Finder Real Image: Optical - I guess that means you look through the lens when you look through the view finder. I wouldn't have expected that. It could also mean that the viewfinder image changes as you zoom. So you don't see exactly what the lens is seeing, but you're pretty close.

Manual Exposure: Yes - That could mean you can set the shutter and/or aperture (but I'd have expected them to have added that info earlier). Or it could mean to can turn up/down the brightness of the images before you take them.

Manual Focus: Not Specified - Probably means it is auto-focus only. I hate all this "Not Specified" rubbish. It really annoys me when sites do this.

Manual ISO overrides: Not Specified - You should be able to change the ISO just like you can with all other digitals. But it's that bloody Not Specified crap again.

Multi mode flash: Yes - Red-eye reduction, auto flash, forced flash, no flash etc.

Exposure compensation: Yes - Pretty much what I said for Manual Exposure. Except for the shutter/aperture part.

Type of Battery Included: 2 X AA - You may want to get yourself four high end (2300ish) NiMH rechargeables. They'll last longer than lots of normal AA's and because you've got four you can have two on charge and two in the camera.

All in all, it looks a good deal. Make sure it's a reputable site though. There are lots out there with deals that look too good to be true because they are. And I'd personally try to get some more reliable info on it. Check Fuji's site and possibly e-mail them to.

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2004_reviews/fuji_a340.html

6. ferny

ferny TPF Noob!

7. DocFrankenstein

DocFrankenstein Clinically Insane?

What do you wanna do with your photog?

8. Nytmair

Nytmair TPF Noob!

yep, that's right... you can hook it right into a photo printer (not sure if it has to be a specific kind or brand or anything though) press a button on your camera, and it will print a picture directly from the camera to the printer.

9. mojoses

mojoses TPF Noob!

Well this will just be a starter camera... I will prob get a better one as I go along and begin to learn more about photography!

Thanks for your help!!
    :D