the choice of TPF members

JonMikal

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
with regard to photo editing, which type computer do you use or prefer...desktop or notebook and why?

Desktop, because I'm old fashioned and if there's a keyboard shortcut I'll use it (I can never find the keys on laptops/notebooks). Also, I have MASSIVE monitors at home and at work - ok I could plug a laptop in, but you know. Most importantly though - power - I like my computers fast and laptops always seem to be slow, presumably all the cut-down and shared components.

Rob

I'm interested in this thread as well.

I like the speed factor of a desktop. I also like the convenience of the laptop.
Has anyone simultaneously worked on an image on both the laptop and a desktop? If so, have you seen any colour variations?

Desktop, because they run faster than laptops, and it because I can use dual monitors. Not to mention I can quickly add more ram or hard drive space to it cheaply myself, if the need arises.

I also, like Rob, am addicted to shorcuts. My entire workflow is based on keyboard shortcuts, and I have big hands. A laptop will never do.

I'll use either, but money wise I reckon you have to spend more to get a laptop which will perform as well as a decent desktop. That said... I use a desktop at the minute (as a result of a nasty accident with a Dell laptop and a hot sugary cup of tea!) and plan to buy a laptop soon as well. I'll certainly have no problems in taking the laptop out and about or on holiday and using it for adding photos as I go and editing as well. Its fine on a laptop but its need to be a good one.

I also prefer desktop as I have a specially dedicated photoshop keyboard with all the shortcut keys on them, makes editing a lot easier!

Also bear in mind that once you start to store a lot of high quality images on laptop and your hard drive gets bunged up eventually running times are slower and sluggish, I've always found that... so I find desktops easier to keep clean (internally that is)... and upgrading is so much easier when it comes to keeping up with the ever changing graphics. Laptops are ten times harder to upgrade and I guess with photoediting thats sort've something that should be kept in mind as photoediting capabilities keep growing... kind of like getting a great camera only you can't buy better lenses for it! :mrgreen:

wow, great responses!

i like the reference to low cost memory upgrade.

Desktop, for the bigger and better monitor, better system spec for the price, and upgradeability - especially adding extra RAM for Photoshop to eat.

I currently use a laptop, but that is because I can only afford one new computer every 3 years and I needed a laptop at the time. I totally prefer desktops with HUGE monitors, to do photo editing and page layouts for print. More specifically, I even prefer Apple computers. :heart: They are ZOOOOOOMYYYYYYY!

Yeah but what is up with Apple mice? Pressing the mouse instead of buttons!? It's unnatural I tells ya.

Desktop for me for many reasons already stated, plus even with a laptop I would still use an external keyboard and mouse. I do not like small monitors and the idea of trying to make precise selections using a touchpad or the little eraser thing seems icredibly frustrating to me.

I hate my laptop but my desktop is currently out of commission. My laptop is basically a slow desktop, I have external speakers, keyboard, and wireless mouse, haha. It's slow and seems like its going to freeze everytime I use photoshop.

markc said:
Last I knew, CRTs were still more accurate than LCDs. <-*big reason*
Nice... that was what I was looking for!

I love, love, love my laptop. I'd choose this laptop over any common name brand desktop. The display is incredible, it has 1GB RAM, and a 3.4ghz processor. Alienware rocks. :D

Most reactions

New Topics

Back