The Church of Baseball

Discussion in 'Critique Forum Archives' started by elsapo, Sep 15, 2005.

1. elsapo

elsapo TPF Noob!

I was in Chicago on work earlier this week, but still made it out to a Cubs game. Wriggley Field is really a great stadium. Anyway, as I was walking up to my seat, early for the game, I looked down and saw that the empty seats looked a lot like pews in a church. And the late afternoon light was really nice, creating lots of deep shadows and colors.

I shot a few frames, expirimenting for the first time using the RAW ability of my D70 -- normally I shoot JPGs, but everyone tells me I need to stop. When I got back home and began processing the images, I was sort of lost on what to do, and I don't feel very confident with this image.

Any opinions as to which works best? There's some stuff i like about the darker image, but the warmer/lighter one is truer to how I remember the day. Maybe i need more contrast in the warmer image.

[​IMG]

--or--

[​IMG]

Thanks for any help... There's another, and will be more, image from Chicago on my site now if you're interested.

2. elsapo

elsapo TPF Noob!

Bump once because, well, it doesn't suck that bad - does it?

3. thebeginning

thebeginning TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    just because nobody commented doesnt mean your photo sucks, it just means we are lazy :)

i like your composition alot! this is a great idea. the bottom one with the warmer tones works well for me.

also, there is nothing wrong with shooting jpeg.

4. DramaDork626

DramaDork626 TPF Noob!

That is a cool photo, plays with the eyes, though I think you should have taken a wider shot. But it's still cool

5. alexecho

alexecho TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    For me the darker one works, but I can see the warmer one is more natural colours. I'd like to see your suggestion carried out, of more contrast in the warmer image.

6. Middlemarch

Middlemarch TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I like the warmer colors. If you're going for a church-like feel, that may work best. Of course, it all depends on how you view church.

Cool angle, and I really like how you shot a section where there were only a few people.

7. craig

craig TPF Noob!

Good eye! Tough decision on the two. It comes down to the mood that you want to convey. Technically I think the second frame has a warm cast. Try boosting the contrast in curves, by clicking on the center and make a slight S. Then convert to CMYK and take out a little Magenta and Yellow in levels.

Working in RAW gives you total control. Photoshop Help will get you started.

8. dannygirl

dannygirl TPF Noob!

I love the pattern of the seats. I makes your eyes move along with the picture