The Coffee House

Gear can make your photos better, hence a better photographer. A gifted photographer will improve their images with better gear and better gear will increase consistency. Better gear will increase the success and consistency of a gifted photographer's images more than an ungifted photographer's images.

It won't make you a better photographer, though. It will improve the QUALITY of your images, not the content in them. Gear can't teach you composition or posing.

It won't make you a better photographer, though. It will improve the QUALITY of your images, not the content in them. Gear can't teach you composition or posing.

If you take junk with an entry-level camera you'll probably take junk with a more expensive camera.

If you capture exceptional images with a junk camera, you should be able to capture better exceptional images with greater consistency if shooting with a superior camera.

Wow - a Coffee House sweep for March! Congrat's, again, to Leonore & Gary. Now, let's get those Challenge images for April mailed in and enough of this serious photo BS - pass me a cin-na-nom roll to go with my coffee.

If you capture exceptional images with a junk camera, you should be able to capture better exceptional images with greater consistency if shooting with a superior camera.

I agree with this statement, but it still doesn't teach someone how to take a good photograph.

I agree with this statement, but it still doesn't teach someone how to take a good photograph.

Ok, so in general expensive gear is heavier.

Also the more gear you own, the heavier it gets.

The more weight you carry, the more it requires you to slow down

Since your not moving so fast, you miss less stuff.

Blam!

Ok, in seriousness, just as exposure depends on the exposure triangle, so too is there a gear triangle.

1. All gear and little to know experience.. ughh, doesn't work.

2. Plenty of experience but gear that just isn't up to the task at hand, doesn't work. You can compensate more in some situations and you have a better shot at getting something worth keeping than option 1, but still, sometimes you just can't overcome equipment limitations no matter how much experience you might have.

So all in all, the best outcome will be achieved by having experience and gear that is up to the task.

The better equipment comes with thicker instruction manuals.

Morning, hosers! My concern right now is coffee, not gear. I've seen some people with lots of expensive stuff that don't really know what they are doing and others with very modest equipment who are great photographers. I can't help thinking the equipment is only a very minor factor, providing we're talking about reasonable equipment, like any current or fairly recent DSLR or bridge camera. Of course there are always exceptions for certain specialized work, but for most people I think this is true.

Coffee - yes.
Git the dishwasher emptied earlier but noticed some residue from the wash - running a cleaning agent through it now. In the mean time, on cup number three. Or is it four? o_O

Gary never gave much thought to the line of thinking of 'the camera doesn't get the shot it's the photographer'. But, (the big but), over time Gary evolved from FF to MFT to APS-C (Fuji). When Gary jumped onboard the Fujifilm Maru, it was, (and still is), a very young system with few lenses. The lens Gary probably uses the most in digital photography is the 70-200 f/2.8 (in FF). Unfortunately, Fuji hadn't any long and fast lenses until recently. When Gary picked up a Fujinon 50-140 f/2.8 his images moved up a notch in success and ease of capturing a successful image (consistency).

In Gary's case, better hardware improved his photography.

Morning, hosers! My concern right now is coffee, not gear. I've seen some people with lots of expensive stuff that don't really know what they are doing and others with very modest equipment who are great photographers. I can't help thinking the equipment is only a very minor factor, providing we're talking about reasonable equipment, like any current or fairly recent DSLR or bridge camera. Of course there are always exceptions for certain specialized work, but for most people I think this is true.
I think that better equipment would improve the vision and consistency rate based upon one's skill and experience level. The greater the skill and experience the more success the photog will squeeze out of the better equipment. The less skill and experience of the photographer, the better equipment will deliver less success.

I hope to get there in a few years and upgrade to a full frame. I know my D3300 camera can do it, I just am not there yet. I have a nice Nikon F so I am reasonably covered there.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

I suppose it can improve your photography, but it doesn't make YOU any better. That, I suppose, is what I'm trying to get across.
My new 70-200 2.8 VC seems to improve my consistency. The VC is a HUGE help. Still doesn't help my composition, but it's a great help in image quality. Medium format required me to slow down, but despite that, I still had issues with composition and making a technically GOOD image.

Edit: A Nikon D3300 still has a pretty good sensor. I don't know about processing hardware, but I can't imagine it's HORRIBLE.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back