The Coffee House

Gary continued his monologue while the East Coasters were asleep. Now Leo will start hers while Gary's asleep ;)

Morning, hosers. Happy 4th and all that. My parents were immigrants but adopted the American holidays of Thanksgiving and Independence Day, so we used to celebrate with fireworks and grilled flesh and mayonnaise-laden potatoes and noodles, just like everyone else. Never had any use for Columbus Day, though ;)

Test drove a Subaru Impreza hatchback yesterday. I did like it, though there is a standard feature on the 2015 and new cars that bothers me. If you are listening to Sirius radio and turn off the car while listening to a "mature" station (i.e. Howard Stern or a comedy channel, for example), the car automatically changes it back to channel 1 when you turn it back on. While it is nothing more than a minor inconvenience in practical terms, it's very bothersome to me that it even exists in the first place and that it cannot be disabled. I'd be fine with it if it were optional - someone who doesn't want their kids to hear curse words might find this feature helpful, and they should be able to use it if they want. But those of us who are not driving with kids should be able to turn it off if we want to.

Still, I liked the car well enough to not knock it off the table as an option, at least not yet. I can always look at their pre-2015 certified pre-owned selection if it continues to bother me.

Gary continues his monologue with a photo of Mary Lou's and Gary's ice cream getting crafted.
If you don't mind my asking; how much do you have to pay for ice-cream to get those red mixers and nitrogen fog?

Mornin, hosers. I'm paying for the last two days this morning. Yeeeow.

Power is still out. Supposedly going to be back on just before noon.

Test drove a Subaru Impreza hatchback yesterday. I did like it, though there is a standard feature on the 2015 and new cars that bothers me. If you are listening to Sirius radio and turn off the car while listening to a "mature" station (i.e. Howard Stern or a comedy channel, for example), the car automatically changes it back to channel 1 when you turn it back on. While it is nothing more than a minor inconvenience in practical terms, it's very bothersome to me that it even exists in the first place and that it cannot be disabled. I'd be fine with it if it were optional - someone who doesn't want their kids to hear curse words might find this feature helpful, and they should be able to use it if they want. But those of us who are not driving with kids should be able to turn it off if we want to.

Still, I liked the car well enough to not knock it off the table as an option, at least not yet. I can always look at their pre-2015 certified pre-owned selection if it continues to bother me.

That is a stupid feature, that would irk me as well. Not sure if it would deter me from purchasing.... yes it would... it's a Subaru. JK, Good vehicle, excellent safety ratings.

Good morning hosers. Getting cooler packed so I can stay hydrated today, I'm boring, just water's and a couple gatorades. the wife and I are off to play 36 hole scramble today, we are a B team and we got paired up with a great A team, that is a blast to play with. They smoke bud when they play (the wife and I don't) and the dude is hilarious, he actually is a stand up comic. Maybe win some cash? We played against them a couple of weeks ago and I darn near pee'd my pants. He made fun of me pretty much the whole day, focused on my 8 month pregnancy belly, and my left handed shooting.

Random thought... I wish we could remotely set off Gary's alarm....

Gary continues his monologue with a photo of Mary Lou's and Gary's ice cream getting crafted.
If you don't mind my asking; how much do you have to pay for ice-cream to get those red mixers and nitrogen fog?
It wasn't cheap, you gotta pay for the show ... About $6.50 for the 'Regular' size, which fits in one's hand and about four inches tall. One picks their base, cream, yoghurt, et al, then a flavor. These are in liquid form and added to the large metal can/mixing bowl. While the base and flavoring are being mixed the chef/operator hits it with the liquid nitrogen. Gary doesn't see any added value in taste via the nitrogen hit ... As opposed to blending a pre-frozen cream with the chosen flavor(s), other than showmanship.

Buenos Dias Coffee Hosers. Happy Independance Day to all those who celebrate this day. (It is also the b-day of my grandson Luke who turned seven today.)

@ Leo: Take a look at the new Camaro, Chevy has a base model, four banger w/turbo and manual tranny for around $27K. My friend Tom, gets bored with his cars every two years and it's about two years on his GTI. He came over yesterday and we watched a lot of videos. Gary is a Mustang guy, he's had a few 'Stangs in his life including the SVO ... the videos made me salivate. Sure the Camaro is not a very practical car, but it is relatively cheap, comes with a bunch of good stuff as standard, drives like a hot rod and get good mileage.

The Cook get spooked by all the fireworks and the associated loud banging. So much so that Gary and Mary Lou found that the best thing we can do for her is to drug her up. (We're not happy with that, but over the years that has been the best solution.) The Fourth in La Mirada starts July 3, as the City puts on their celebration about a block away in the regional park. Consequently, Gary is a bit groggy from getting up all night to make sure she's okay.

Mary Lou and Gary will be home again today to watch over her on the second day of celebrations. But Gary will be cooking today, he's about to toss a Tri-tip on the smoker, he has a huge ... (Costco huge) salmon and he will be making flatbread, regular bread and pesto for starters.

So come on down to Gary's. He also has a boatload of world class wines from Saturday's visit to wine country.

@ JC ... To get even at the comic for making fun of you ... Don't laugh at all at anything he says, bite your tongue. After a few remarks by the comic ... make yourself as large as possible (stand-up), approach him with your driver in your hands, look him straight in the eye and tell him "I don't think you're funny at all".

Most reactions

Back