The Coffee House

Yep, time to hit the hay here also. I think I may head over to Lancaster County tomorrow morning and pick up some chemicals so I can take that Rollei for a spin. Lancaster has the closest film supply shack around, and that's 30 miles from here...that sucks, but it is what it is I guess.
Oh, how was your trip to St. Michaels (iirc)?

Mmm I discovered sea salt caramels hanging around here. Bad, bad idea.

My lovely wife got an 8-pack of Godiva from someone at work; they lasted 10 minutes.

I'm heading out. There's an aurora sighting possible tonight.

Good night coffee hosers. Time for this guy to pass the hell out.

Just got back. Nice clear cold night. No aurora borealis. However, the Pleiades were there, saw the Andromeda galaxy, checked out Orion and Capella and Gemini, had a good look at Jupiter... Took inventory and it seems the shrinkage was minimal. So can now go to bed.

Yep, time to hit the hay here also. I think I may head over to Lancaster County tomorrow morning and pick up some chemicals so I can take that Rollei for a spin. Lancaster has the closest film supply shack around, and that's 30 miles from here...that sucks, but it is what it is I guess.
Oh, how was your trip to St. Michaels (iirc)?
I put two shots up here from the trip. One desent shot of a buy boat and another of a builder while working on her boat. The second could have been better. I went down with the promise of a nice sunny day, only to find a dark, cloudy dreary one. The clouds pretty much set my mood for the day and I came home with a camera full of junk. The funny thing is, I drove the 4 hours for a retake becuase the first trip was a wash out. I'm not done 3 trips should do it:biglaugh:

We can not decide what to cook for Xmas. We do not want turkey and kids do not eat meat. Fish? Does not sound really Xmacy.

We can not decide what to cook for Xmas. We do not want turkey and kids do not eat meat. Fish? Does not sound really Xmacy.
Wouldn't be for me, but hey... The kids are all doing the in-law thing this year so the wife and I are eatting out at the local buffet. Let someone else clean up for a change. :icon_santa:

went down with the promise of a nice sunny day, only to find a dark, cloudy dreary one.
Welcome to SoMD. If the weather is bad, wait a few minutes.

I haven't seen the shots - I'll look for them.[/QUOTE]

Interesting. Fish is the traditional Christmas dinner in Portugal. Bacalhau. When I was growing up, we always had fish, but my mother often cooked a turkey, too. She was always presenting us with traditional Portuguese fare combined with whatever American dishes she thought were traditional. Sometimes we got it right (Thanksgiving turkey) and sometimes not (Christmas lasagne?)

But there was always fish for Christmas. The preparation we tend to follow is called Bacalhau a Gomes de Sa. Each region puts a slightly different spin on it, but it is essentially dried cod layered with sliced potatoes, with olive oil, salt and pepper, and hard-boiled eggs added towards the end of cooking.

and sometimes not (Christmas lasagne?)
One of the traditions in my family at Thanksgiving was my Grandmother's ravioli.

essentially dried cod layered with sliced potatoes, with olive oil, salt and pepper, and hard-boiled eggs added towards the end of cooking.
This sounds interesting.

Ah yes. Fish for Christmas. One of my brothers-in-law is of Portuguese origin (by way of the Azores), and we were often invited to his family's Christmas meals. Quite different from traditional western fare, with lots of fish and other things (calamari in tomato sauce, breaded calamari, and things I wasn't sure about but they all tasted delicious) that "normally" wouldn't show up on our tables. Oh, and lots of various types of baked goods (sorry Leonore, I was told the various names of what we ate, but being the cultural heathen that I was, all I can say is that it was all delicious). And about ten times more food than people available to eat it. My brother-in-law is a very good cook, and occasionally he still makes some of the stuff his mother used to make, but he considers it "home" food and not good enough to entertain the guests with. Much to our disappointment.

Most reactions

Back