The Coffee House

I thought possums are Australian bag rats not to mistake for US opossums. Who can help?

I love cooked innards but I do not like to eat blood in any form. You can call that a religious prejudice although I am Roman Catholic and Paulus' no-blood-recommondation concerned the blood of Gladiators that was sucked by people from the fresh kill after the fights....

So I love The Haggis!!!! Here is a modern form served without the skin. I ate that in 2016 in Killin, a village north of Edinburgh, Scotland.

View attachment 134789
Man, that looks yummy

That is lighting, experience and world class equipment. The Neo Noct at f/5.6.

Plus I explicitly asked the cook to make it look nice for the photo.

Our city canceled school for today - this was announced yesterday afternoon well before the first flake was scheduled to fall. Very unusual for our town to make any proactive decisions. Also canceled are city services like trash pick-up and recycling - City Hall offices will close at noon. Grocery stores were a nightmare last night and this morning as people panic and rush out to buy milk and bread as if they will never eat again. I'm sure that 99% of the families in my town could easily live off the food in their cupboards and freezers for a month if needed. I know we could survive several months without power or access to stores should it ever be necessary. I always keep emergency supplies and firewood on hand. While I'm not a doomsday prepper, I'm definitely a flu epidemic, major power outage, unplanned shelter in place prepper.

The snow started a few minutes ago but it's coming down pretty light right now. Very windy here and "thunder snow" is expected. The dog will not be amused.

Our city canceled school for today - this was announced yesterday afternoon well before the first flake was scheduled to fall. Very unusual for our town to make any proactive decisions. Also canceled are city services like trash pick-up and recycling - City Hall offices will close at noon. Grocery stores were a nightmare last night and this morning as people panic and rush out to buy milk and bread as if they will never eat again. I'm sure that 99% of the families in my town could easily live off the food in their cupboards and freezers for a month if needed. I know we could survive several months without power or access to stores should it ever be necessary. I always keep emergency supplies and firewood on hand. While I'm not a doomsday prepper, I'm definitely a flu epidemic, major power outage, unplanned shelter in place prepper.

The snow started a few minutes ago but it's coming down pretty light right now. Very windy here and "thunder snow" is expected. The dog will not be amused.
I do believe we got the start of a Farm Girl here. Can you milk a cow or drive a tractor?

I thought possums are Australian bag rats not to mistake for US opossums. Who can help?

I love cooked innards but I do not like to eat blood in any form. You can call that a religious prejudice although I am Roman Catholic and Paulus' no-blood-recommondation concerned the blood of Gladiators that was sucked by people from the fresh kill after the fights....

So I love The Haggis!!!! Here is a modern form served without the skin. I ate that in 2016 in Killin, a village north of Edinburgh, Scotland.

View attachment 134789
True, a 'Possum' is different than an 'Opossum'. While both creatures are marsupials and even look somewhat similar, they are both very different genetically. The Opossum's name is derived from the Native American name for the creature as interpreted by early English colonists. The Possum is related closely to the Kangaroo. The Opossum has a hairless tail while the Possum has a furry tail is is generally more cuddly looking and cute.

Most people in the U.S. have shorten 'Opossum' to 'Possum' not knowing of the Australian/South Pacific creature of the same name. Interestingly, both creatures play 'possum' when under stress.

Last edited:
Gary oven bagged and marinaded the Tri-Tip in the morning. In the late afternoon he dumped in some rosemary then tossed it in the oven at 200F. When the meat was near its final temperature Gary heated up the BBQ to high-high and put a reverse sear on the meat. Mary Lou described it as wonderful.

That sounds delish. What do you use for a marinade?
Nothing special, just stuff I find laying around the kitchen. First a rub of seasoned salt (not much), black pepper, lemon zest, chili powder (backyard chili's dried and ground) and some rosemary branches. Next some red wine (of course), Gary's Famous Homemade BBQ Sauce, a splash of liquid smoke (as this will be oven cooked) and some homemade orange liqueur (for a bit of sweetness). All was dumped into an oven bag and tied off. The oven bag was stuffed into a Dutch Oven and set into the frig until dinner time.

When dinner time arrived, Gary put a few slits into the bag, inserted a remote thermometer probe into the meat, turned the oven to 200F and inserted the whole mess into the oven. 60 minutes to 90 minutes later, the meat reached an internal temp of 145F which is done. Gary pulled the Dutch oven out and threw onto a very hot BBQ grill to sear the outside and give it a bit of crunch. (Gary also seared the rosemary branches to add what real smoke he could to the edges.) Mmmmhhh ... maybe three or four minutes per side. (Gary should have removed the meat when the meat temp hit about 125F and let the sear rise the temp to 145F ... so Gary slightly overcooked the meat.)

Snow day, hosers. It is white out there. I mean white.
1486653922215706460805.jpg

I do believe we got the start of a Farm Girl here. Can you milk a cow or drive a tractor?

I tried to milk a cow once when we took my daughter's girl scout troop to a farm for a field trip. Not exactly my wheel house. On the other hand, I can drive a stick and am fully confident in my ability to drive anything with wheels.

Do people hand milks cows anymore? They hook them up to a machine from what I have seen in my neck of the woods. I suppose in Amish land, they still do it but that's another subject.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back