The Coffee House

Do people hand milks cows anymore? They hook them up to a machine from what I have seen in my neck of the woods. I suppose in Amish land, they still do it but that's another subject.
Oh heck yes. Why buy the milk when you can get it for free. All it takes for a family of 4 is one milk cow. Plenty of milk, cream and if you are ambitious enough, home made butter. Tastes better than that pasteurized stuff and you know where it came from. Same with eggs. Fresh eggs are the best thing you can eat or cook with. They don't come much fresher when you gather them daily.

Do people hand milks cows anymore? They hook them up to a machine from what I have seen in my neck of the woods. I suppose in Amish land, they still do it but that's another subject.
Oh heck yes. Why buy the milk when you can get it for free. All it takes for a family of 4 is one milk cow. Plenty of milk, cream and if you are ambitious enough, home made butter. Tastes better than that pasteurized stuff and you know where it came from. Same with eggs. Fresh eggs are the best thing you can eat or cook with. They don't come much fresher when you gather them daily.

Are they nice to you? Or do they bite like seals?

If you warm your hands first they are. Plus a little udder butter never hurts. Damn good stuff for dry cracked hands as well. ‍
farmer.jpeg

I do believe we got the start of a Farm Girl here. Can you milk a cow or drive a tractor?
Can't everyone?
What do you think?

I can milk goats and sheep. Cows are a bit bigger but the idea is the sam is'nit?

We had tractors on our farm but these were old and small compared to the huge modern giants
Pretty much the same. Larger teats but the process is the same.

Our city canceled school for today - this was announced yesterday afternoon well before the first flake was scheduled to fall. Very unusual for our town to make any proactive decisions. Also canceled are city services like trash pick-up and recycling - City Hall offices will close at noon. Grocery stores were a nightmare last night and this morning as people panic and rush out to buy milk and bread as if they will never eat again. I'm sure that 99% of the families in my town could easily live off the food in their cupboards and freezers for a month if needed. I know we could survive several months without power or access to stores should it ever be necessary. I always keep emergency supplies and firewood on hand. While I'm not a doomsday prepper, I'm definitely a flu epidemic, major power outage, unplanned shelter in place prepper.

The snow started a few minutes ago but it's coming down pretty light right now. Very windy here and "thunder snow" is expected. The dog will not be amused.

They're gentle. We used to sneak out to the fields and ride them when Gary was a kid.

Our city canceled school for today - this was announced yesterday afternoon well before the first flake was scheduled to fall. Very unusual for our town to make any proactive decisions. Also canceled are city services like trash pick-up and recycling - City Hall offices will close at noon. Grocery stores were a nightmare last night and this morning as people panic and rush out to buy milk and bread as if they will never eat again. I'm sure that 99% of the families in my town could easily live off the food in their cupboards and freezers for a month if needed. I know we could survive several months without power or access to stores should it ever be necessary. I always keep emergency supplies and firewood on hand. While I'm not a doomsday prepper, I'm definitely a flu epidemic, major power outage, unplanned shelter in place prepper.

The snow started a few minutes ago but it's coming down pretty light right now. Very windy here and "thunder snow" is expected. The dog will not be amused.

They're gentle. We used to sneak out to the fields and ride them when Gary was a kid.
Gary in his younger days.

Gary in his younger days.

lol....that guy looks like an old lion football player whose name escapes me at the moment... where did you take that?

Isn't that Alex Kerras? Am I spelling his last name right? it is widely reported that he accidentally KILLED a horse with a single punch during the filming of Blazing Saddles

Isn't that Alex Kerras? Am I spelling his last name right? it is widely reported that he accidentally KILLED a horse with a single punch during the filming of Blazing Saddles

That's the guy! It looks a lot like him

Boston called off school for tomorrow already. No news yet for our little burg.

Most reactions

Back