The Coffee House

Wow ... Mary Lou and Gary are sitting in the patio, sipping on some vino, when a Phoebe (a little bird) swoops in and snags a butterfly out of some flowering succulents. Then flies up to a tree and gulps down the butterfly. Gary thought most butterflies tasted pretty bad ... he guesses not for a Phoebe.

Congrats JC. Gary hopes you like the Fujinon lenses.
All ready do, curious on the 60mm vs Zeiss. Liked what I seen in store. I'm not worried about the 1:2 magnification. The 18-50 is sharp

Test out this IS. In early models the IS went to hell at higher shutter speeds.

Supposed to switch IS to OFF at speeds of 1/500 or faster in most situations...leaving IS set to On can cause a feedback loop, where the IS system tend to over-correct, and causes the most unusual, softened images. I runined a good portion of one summer's images shot at FAST speeds by leaving the stabilization ON when shooting at wide f/stops which lead me to fast speeds which lead me to many,many soft images.

Fuji is itself, a company with a history of having made some very fine, fine lenses. I had a Fujinon-W 150mm f/5.6 view lens that was astounding. They've made a few rare and sought-after lenses, like their old soft focus model based on the lotta-little-holes design; Hasselblad contracted Fuji to make lenses (and camera bodies too?) for various medium format cameras, and also for the Hasselblad-branded 35mm panoramic X-Pan camera. "Zeiss" is now just a product name, and asssembly is farmed out, these days to Cosina in Japan.

Test out this IS. In early models the IS went to hell at higher shutter speeds.

Supposed to switch IS to OFF at speeds of 1/500 or faster in most situations...leaving IS set to On can cause a feedback loop, where the IS system tend to over-correct, and causes the most unusual, softened images. I runined a good portion of one summer's images shot at FAST speeds by leaving the stabilization ON when shooting at wide f/stops which lead me to fast speeds which lead me to many,many soft images.

Fuji is itself, a company with a history of having made some very fine, fine lenses. I had a Fujinon-W 150mm f/5.6 view lens that was astounding. They've made a few rare and sought-after lenses, like their old soft focus model based on the lotta-little-holes design; Hasselblad contracted Fuji to make lenses (and camera bodies too?) for various medium format cameras, and also for the Hasselblad-branded 35mm panoramic X-Pan camera. "Zeiss" is now just a product name, and asssembly is farmed out, these days to Cosina in Japan.
Good info, didn't know this.

Well, I did it. I sold all my gear (not my film stuff) and I still have a store credit. Did way better than B & H, Adorama, or KEH, like 500.00 better. I still have to buy a couple more lens but I am thrilled to not have to shell out any cash today. I got a new Fujifilm X-T2, 18-50mm f/2.8-4 kit lens, 60mm f/2.4 macro (not the Zeiss), battery grip, extra batteries, couple of fast cards, and some rolls of Ektar. I am going to use the remaining credit on a 50-140mm f/2.8, 100-400mm, and a 1.4TC. I want to thank @Gary A. big time for guiding me through this whole thing, really feel like I am on the right path now. Batteries charging..... oh my.

Congrats! Looking forward to seeing your work with the new gear. Did you sell to a local camera store or use ebay/craigslist?

Well, I did it. I sold all my gear (not my film stuff) and I still have a store credit. Did way better than B & H, Adorama, or KEH, like 500.00 better. I still have to buy a couple more lens but I am thrilled to not have to shell out any cash today. I got a new Fujifilm X-T2, 18-50mm f/2.8-4 kit lens, 60mm f/2.4 macro (not the Zeiss), battery grip, extra batteries, couple of fast cards, and some rolls of Ektar. I am going to use the remaining credit on a 50-140mm f/2.8, 100-400mm, and a 1.4TC. I want to thank @Gary A. big time for guiding me through this whole thing, really feel like I am on the right path now. Batteries charging..... oh my.

Congrats! Looking forward to seeing your work with the new gear. Did you sell to a local camera store or use ebay/craigslist?

Majority at local camera store. They treated me real good. Place was real busy.

I'm pooped. Pooped I say! Was watching a show about Tiki, seems it's back?!? Wonder if I still have a Hawaiian flowerdy shirt stashed away somewhere? Too pooped to even think about anything so mindless entertainment it is.

Just got home from a couple of events. First went to the wife's holiday party. She is the Sr. VP at a bank in charge of the Trust Division. Party was supposed to be mid January, but was cancelled due to an ice storm. Nice time even having to sit at the head table with the board members etc.

Of course it was on the same night as the Blues & Brews fund raiser for the Boy Scout Council. The wife is the Council President so she felt she should make an appearance. We had tickets that we gave away when the Bank Party was rescheduled. It's good to finally be home. I have had enough being Arm Candy for the night.

Have to be Arm Candy again Monday night. The scout council is hiring a new District Exec. and Monday night is the cocktail party for the board to met the perspective candidates and their wives. Tuesday I get to be chauffeur for one of the wives. While the candidates are having their interviews, the wives will be driven around Wichita to check out housing, schools, etc. in case they end up moving here.

"A Pro Weighs in on Pronouns"...wow...that sounds interesting!

Buenos Dias Coffee Hosers. Mary Lou and Gary were up late to watch SNL and it was a rerun. Consequently, Gary has a late start on this morning. The dishes are cleared, the paper retrieved, laundry is being cleaned, side yard hummingbird feeder refilled and coffee has been brewed ... and now it is being consumed.

Most reactions

Back