The Coffee House

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1422131353.703371.jpg

Sent from my iPhone 6+ using Tapatalk Pro

Well, considering I have no thumbs.... :(

Kidding. I have thumbs.

here's one for ya
When people ask what you learned today .....
Manure... An interesting fact
Manure : In the 16th and 17th centuries, everything had to be transported by ship and it was also before the invention of commercial fertilizers, so large shipments of manure were quite common.

It was shipped dry, because in dry form it weighed a lot less than when wet, but once water (at sea) hit it, not only did it become heavier, but the process of fermentation began again, of which a by product is methane gas of course. As the stuff was stored below decks in bundles you can see what could (and did) happen.
Methane began to build up below decks and the first time someone came below at night with a lantern, BOOOOM!
Several ships were destroyed in this manner before it was determined just what was happening

After that, the bundles of manure were always stamped with the instruction ' Stow high in transit ' on them, which meant for the sailors to stow it high enough off the lower decks so that any water that came into the hold would not touch this volatile cargo and start the production of methane.

Thus evolved the term ' S.H.I.T ' , (Stow High In Transit) which has come down through the centuries and is in use to this very day.

You probably did not know the true history of this word.

Neither did I.

I don't know . . . that story kinda smells. :icon_jokercolor:

Well, the weather cleared up this afternoon--although it was still way too bloomin' cold--so I went back up to one of the local dams for a while. Saw four eagles, got ONE semi-decent shot that I'm still trying to decide whether or not to even post here on TPF. At least I didn't get entirely skunked today, like last week. I also got, I think, some decent shots of some backyard birds while sitting outside at my fire pit.

Gonna get me a nice, hot cup of coffee and settle under some warm covers for the evening. And take something for the headache that is increasing in strength, kinda like a tropical depression threatening to reach hurricane strength.

Well, the weather cleared up this afternoon--although it was still way too bloomin' cold--so I went back up to one of the local dams for a while. Saw four eagles, got ONE semi-decent shot that I'm still trying to decide whether or not to even post here on TPF. At least I didn't get entirely skunked today, like last week. I also got, I think, some decent shots of some backyard birds while sitting outside at my fire pit.

Gonna get me a nice, hot cup of coffee and settle under some warm covers for the evening. And take something for the headache that is increasing in strength, kinda like a tropical depression threatening to reach hurricane strength.

There's a swampy area with a lot of dead trees nearby that I'm going to try and hit tomorrow. I saw an eagle there a couple of weeks ago.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back