The Coffee House

Thanks Snerd, but the one I have is just fine. At least, she puts up with me and all my characteristics. Well, most of them anyways. The simple truth is that I lucked out in the lottery of life when I met and married her. I've seen lots of marriages go sour. Somehow we've found ways to work through the rough patches (and they always are there, no matter what people say), and yet, after thirty-plus years, we still find things to surprise each other with.

BRI_1232_136_01.JPG

oops. wrong thread again..

Same here Paul. I was single for 13 years between wife "A" and wife "B". We have our moments, but I have no regrets. We been together 18 years and married 15 of those. We're still best friends

what is weird is, they get older. i still remember my wife being 18, but now she is 33. Course she reminds me i am getting a little belly and starting a bald spot so i ain't sayn nothing....

I'll relate something wonderful in the relationship department.......... but maybe later, not right now.

Dave Bowman: You see, something's going to happen. You must leave.
Heywood Floyd: What? What's going to happen?
Dave Bowman: Something wonderful.
Heywood Floyd: What?
Dave Bowman: I understand how you feel. You see, it's all very clear to me now. The whole thing. It's wonderful.
Heywood Floyd: What? What's going to happen?
Dave Bowman: Something wonderful.

Sent from my iPhone 6+ using Tapatalk Pro

This was outside this morning. View attachment 94013

Yesterday, it was just at freezing (0C, 32F) with a light snow shower. This morning it is -14C.

Icicle is pretty. For some reason, I'm hearing "Bird on a wire" by Leonard Cohen. Looking for some freedom from the persistent cold...

As a matter of a daily routine ... I don't think I'd like to wake up to icicles on a wire. Yesterday we hit 80F, a lovely day. Presently, the Sun is out, not a cloud in the sky, a slight breeze moving the trees. I can hear the sounds of the backyard waterfall and kids playing ball at the regional park a block or two away ... sipping on my coffee and reading the paper ... today is starting off to be another prefect day.

In my youth, weather was weather ... but now I truly appreciate not fighting the elements ... I appreciate being caressed by the Sun the breezes and not pistol whipped or held hostage by the outdoors. In winter I look out to the yard and it is still lush with green and blossoms and fruits, veggies, butterflies and hummers. Yeah, traffic sucks, unbelievably sucks and taxes are high and housing is expensive ...

I'm back from a little walk in the backyard. I performed my daily chrysalis watch, inspecting a few Monarch chrysalis looking for signs of emerging butterflies ... the chrysalis hanging on the back of a chair is very close, the chrysalis is no longer smooth and is gentling conforming to the shape of the butterfly's wings and body ... then Mary Lou says "Look at that...". On the shady cold patio concrete was a Monarch not moving, just standing there. I picked it up, its wings were still damp and I placed it in the sun on a Flowering Maple. Instantly, it unfurled it wings and we watched them slowly stretch and flap. There's a wrinkle in one of the wings, I hope it can pump it out.

I recognize that there are Hummers and Monarchs all over ... but I have them year round ... and I have Orchids blooming in the front, apples popping away in the back, I'm less than 30 minutes from the Pacific, less than 30 minutes from Hollywood and the Coliseum and less than an hour to snow.

The Cook and I are off for our morning constitutional. Usually I let her choose our path ... but today I think we'll head south to the regional park, around the little lake and watch the girls play some fast-pitch.

Last edited:
Thanks Snerd, but the one I have is just fine. At least, she puts up with me and all my characteristics. Well, most of them anyways. The simple truth is that I lucked out in the lottery of life when I met and married her. I've seen lots of marriages go sour. Somehow we've found ways to work through the rough patches (and they always are there, no matter what people say), and yet, after thirty-plus years, we still find things to surprise each other with.

"If you took all the girls I knew
When I was single
And brought them all together for one night
I know they'd never match
my sweet imagination
Everything looks worse in black and white"

Paul Simon - Kodakchrome

Ain't easy. you grow up, you change. Grow apart, grow together, grow apart. Do stupid things. Every time you go through it though, and the marriage is tested, the loyalties tested and commitment tested. And if you get through it. The marriage gets stronger. If you can't get through it, it is over. Some people don't want the marriage. They destroy it themselves. It didn't fail, it was destroyed. And that is their choice too. Two cents.

Once again.......... Oklahoma, where the wind comes sweepin' down the plain!!! 17mph regular, gusts to 25. Will get breezier as the day progresses.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1422207740.190718.jpg

Sent from my iPhone 6+ using Tapatalk Pro

no. i live here.
BRI_0840.JPG

(just kidding).. Actually i wish i lived in the first one. Not only is it nicer looking than where i live now but the taxes and cost of ownership would probably be cheaper. Further out in the sticks you get, the cheaper it gets. That would be cheaper than the dive i live in now.

"Oh, oh, oh!
Let's go fly a kite
Up to the highest height!
Let's go fly a kite and send it soaring
Up through the atmosphere
Up where the air is clear
Oh, let's go fly a kite!"

from Mary Poppins

Most reactions

Back