The Coffee House

Morning, Hosers! Having my coffee and snack. Costa Rican coffee, or so it says on the packet by the coffee machine.

I missed the "sparkly, purple thingie" but I'm not going back to look - I think it's too early for me to see anything like that. Not much happening here, which is always a good thing.

Last night I judged a camera club competition (with two others) and tried to fight the forces of darkness once again. One of the others is an old-timer with the club and stuck fast in all of the camera club cliches. I didn't disagree with his judgment that much, but his comments weren't that helpful, imo.

"hey bri i think i lost the transmission in my dodge yesterday plowing"

"did it overheat?"

"Not sure i think so"

"that sucks, does it have a tranny cooler?"

"yeah i think so"

"how big is it?"

"i don't know"

"when is the last time you changed your transmission fluid?"

blank stare...........

"i think i am going to have to send it to a shop but can you look at it first?"

"yeah, whatever. wtf..."

nice enough guy but some people just don't cease to amaze me.

Yeah, I always enjoy talking about images. Unfortunately, they only had us critique part of the competition (about a third), saving time instead to go over some images a second time to break ties. In my view, if they come out tied, that's the way it is and forcing them not to be tied (without explaining why) is a waste of time. I could go on with other complaints about how these things are run, but it's a long story. This time I didn't disagree that much with the images that did well, although sometimes I just can't believe how they reject really interesting stuff.

Yeah, I always enjoy talking about images. Unfortunately, they only had us critique part of the competition (about a third), saving time instead to go over some images a second time to break ties. In my view, if they come out tied, that's the way it is and forcing them not to be tied (without explaining why) is a waste of time. I could go on with other complaints about how these things are run, but it's a long story. This time I didn't disagree that much with the images that did well, although sometimes I just can't believe how they reject really interesting stuff.
i have never entered one, or been to one. sounds like something i would rather avoid. Although your take on it is interesting. i do follow some juried art shows. But they aren't separated out for photography. For instance "best in show" i have never seen go to a photograph.

I am at the hospital, waiting for Mary Lou to get out of surgery. Next to me is this big fat guy snoring away ...I find it very rude. I can't move because I next to the only plug in the waiting room.

I am at the hospital, waiting for Mary Lou to get out of surgery. Next to me is this big fat guy snoring away ...I find it very rude. I can't move because I next to the only plug in the waiting room.

Go get some popcorn or something like that out of the vending machine. Then sit and eat a piece, and discreetly toss a piece on the big snoring dude…eat a piece, toss a piece. And then get rid of the evidence and hope you're there when he wakes up. :D

Sounds to me like it would be a good time to re-assign all of the ring tones on your 'phone (after of coursre you listen to them a few times each a full volume so as to best determine which ring is most appropriate for which contact). Failing that, the sailor in me would simply pick up a magazine, poke him a couple of times and say, "Shut the **** up, you fat sack of ****!"

Oh, and I hope her surgery goes well? What's she having done; foot surgery, I know, but what's wrong with it?
I have a place on my foot that has been really aggravating me, since July. The pain would only happen once in a while, but now it's happening more and more and seems like it's more intense. But I haven't gone to the Dr. about it because…reasons.

Sounds to me like it would be a good time to re-assign all of the ring tones on your 'phone (after of coursre you listen to them a few times each a full volume so as to best determine which ring is most appropriate for which contact). Failing that, the sailor in me would simply pick up a magazine, poke him a couple of times and say, "Shut the **** up, you fat sack of ****!"

Clearly, I am FAR more passive-aggressive than you are. :D
I did think about maybe suggesting a really loud, annoying cell phone game…but I thought the hospital might just nix that one.

Now, I don't know the situation, and not to be all whompy, but I try not to judge people--especially in the waiting rooms of hospitals. You never know how long he has been there and why he is there. What if he's waiting for a loved one just as you are? What if he was up all night worrying, and he finally got some shuteye?

Sorry, I'll be quiet now. :smile:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back