The Coffee House

See...you are way more considerate than you let on.

Home, just finished tucking Mary Lou in ... the surgery apparently went well.
Glad to hear it went well. Miriam is scheduled for her right wrist & hand on Monday, pending results of a minor pre-test (tomorrow).

No more surgeries, please! :(

However, sitting there stewing in anger, "killing someone mentally", over something that could be easily remedied by reaching out to someone is silly.

I get this and totally applaud you for your compassion, I truly do.

Having said this, sometimes the anger is not always controllable. I'm not speaking for Gary or anyone other than myself.

I have something called misophonia. Marija can tell you about it, too. Misophonia is a neurological...thing...not sure if it's classified as a disorder? Syndrome? ... Whatever it's called, it comes down to having an extreme negative reaction to certain sounds. For me, the most common trigger is someone eating. It's not just being annoyed that someone is making noise or being upset at the break in social convention. It's an intense fight-or-flight kind of reaction. When I find myself stuck next to someone who is snapping gum or audibly chewing (especially with their mouths open!), my heart starts pounding, I get intensely angry, and I want to scream, punch someone, throw something, run away...anything to get it to stop. Sometimes, like when a student is at the support center and music is bleeding from his or her earbuds, I can tell them to turn it town and address the situation directly before I get too agitated and bitchy.

But how do you tell someone at the next table at Starbucks to stop chewing like a cow? Or how do you tell your friend that you never want to eat lunch with her because the way she chews makes you want to slap her until she cries? I've finally resorted to just carrying earbuds with me at all times so if I can't say anything or get away from the noise, I play some music to drown it out.

So to "normal" people it might seem silly to get so upset over something like chewing or snoring or a wheezing laugh, but some of us are tortured by these sounds and can't do much about it. I can't even tell you the anxiety it causes me when I have to be, for example, on a bus or plane, or stuck on line somewhere, and I don't know if someone is going to trigger the miso or not.

......... I have something called misophonia. Marija can tell you about it, too. Misophonia is a neurological...thing...not sure if it's classified as a disorder? Syndrome? ... Whatever it's called, it comes down to having an extreme negative reaction to certain sounds. For me, the most common trigger is someone eating. It's not just being annoyed that someone is making noise or being upset at the break in social convention. It's an intense fight-or-flight kind of reaction. When I find myself stuck next to someone who is snapping gum or audibly chewing (especially with their mouths open!), my heart starts pounding, I get intensely angry, and I want to scream, punch someone, throw something, run away...anything to get it to stop. Sometimes, like when a student is at the support center and music is bleeding from his or her earbuds, I can tell them to turn it town and address the situation directly before I get too agitated and bitchy.

But how do you tell someone at the next table at Starbucks to stop chewing like a cow? Or how do you tell your friend that you never want to eat lunch with her because the way she chews makes you want to slap her until she cries? I've finally resorted to just carrying earbuds with me at all times so if I can't say anything or get away from the noise, I play some music to drown it out.

So to "normal" people it might seem silly to get so upset over something like chewing or snoring or a wheezing laugh, but some of us are tortured by these sounds and can't do much about it. I can't even tell you the anxiety it causes me when I have to be, for example, on a bus or plane, or stuck on line somewhere, and I don't know if someone is going to trigger the miso or not.
That sounds horrible! Is there any treatment for it?

However, sitting there stewing in anger, "killing someone mentally", over something that could be easily remedied by reaching out to someone is silly.

Having said this, sometimes the anger is not always controllable. I'm not speaking for Gary or anyone other than myself.

I have something called misophonia. Marija can tell you about it, too. Misophonia is a neurological...thing...not sure if it's classified as a disorder? Syndrome? ... Whatever it's called, it comes down to having an extreme negative reaction to certain sounds. For me, the most common trigger is someone eating. It's not just being annoyed that someone is making noise or being upset at the break in social convention. It's an intense fight-or-flight kind of reaction. When I find myself stuck next to someone who is snapping gum or audibly chewing (especially with their mouths open!), my heart starts pounding, I get intensely angry, and I want to scream, punch someone, throw something, run away...anything to get it to stop. Sometimes, like when a student is at the support center and music is bleeding from his or her earbuds, I can tell them to turn it town and address the situation directly before I get too agitated and bitchy.

ME too! And oddly, as uncommon as a misophonia diagnosis is, there are FOUR people in my family who have it. (I say "diagnosis" because I think it's a little more common than we know, but not that many people get diagnosed--because what kind of crazy person actually TELLS their doctor, "oh, when people chew around me, I want to slit their throat.")

Mine is actually milder than the other three people in my family--my niece and an aunt have it the worst. The niece often can't even stand people chewing NORMALLY, with their mouths closed.
My sister has it pretty bad as well.

Mine is hardly ever about chewing--but I think that, AND the "mildness" of mine is really because I have bad hearing, so thankfully I simply don't HEAR a lot of what would otherwise trigger it.

Almost any repetitive noise, or people talking just far enough away that you just hear sound, not actual words make me want to just go right over the edge and scream at them...or worse.

And NOW, our ridiculous GM has decided we have to all leave our office doors open--then they proceed to hold these long conversations out in the hall. Between that, the bathroom hand dryers going off all the time and the copier gearing up to print...I cannot function half the time.
I tend to get up, close the door in a manner that is JUST shy of a full "slam," and then just DARE someone to come tell me to open it.

Did you hear that? No? Well it was the sound of nothing. Everyone is back at school and work. Yeay! My quiet time has returned! Just me and the dog til 2.
envy :icon_pissedoff:

hey... I missed something here... got to go to read what happened yesterday...

Sorry to hear you have this, and if someone has that, I feel for them.

However, that's not to say there weren't three options available if Mr. Gary found this man that off putting : (1) ask him to wake up, (2) move to another seat in the waiting room, or (3) wait in the car.

But, I will apologize for taking this as far as I did. No more out of me on this topic.

Your battle: annoying sounds coming from someone heavier than you are. That is a road bump from hell? Not likely. :smile:

waday... Leo explained it well and I just have to mention that maybe it's the time for you to find out about something new...

If you have some time you can go on my blog and maybe read this first ... it's about Misophonia and why annoying sounds are "a road bump from hell"

I get this and totally applaud you for your compassion, I truly do......Having said this, sometimes the anger is not always controllable.....

I have something called misophonia. Marija can tell you about it, too. Misophonia is a neurological...thing...not sure if it's classified as a disorder? Syndrome? ... Whatever it's called, it comes down to having an extreme negative reaction to certain sounds.....
For the rest of you, I actually found about Miso from Leo here on TPF :)

That sounds horrible! Is there any treatment for it?
Nope and it is horrible :)

Last edited:
ME too! And oddly, as uncommon as a misophonia diagnosis is, there are FOUR people in my family who have it. (I say "diagnosis" because I think it's a little more common than we know, but not that many people get diagnosed--because what kind of crazy person actually TELLS their doctor, "oh, when people chew around me, I want to slit their throat.")

Mine is actually milder than the other three people in my family--my niece and an aunt have it the worst. The niece often can't even stand people chewing NORMALLY, with their mouths closed.
My sister has it pretty bad as well.

Mine is hardly ever about chewing--but I think that, AND the "mildness" of mine is really because I have bad hearing, so thankfully I simply don't HEAR a lot of what would otherwise trigger it.

Almost any repetitive noise, or people talking just far enough away that you just hear sound, not actual words make me want to just go right over the edge and scream at them...or worse.

And NOW, our ridiculous GM has decided we have to all leave our office doors open--then they proceed to hold these long conversations out in the hall. Between that, the bathroom hand dryers going off all the time and the copier gearing up to print...I cannot function half the time.
I tend to get up, close the door in a manner that is JUST shy of a full "slam," and then just DARE someone to come tell me to open it.
hey ma...
didn't know you understand this... I'm glad you do, really... Not sure why I'm that glad but I am :)

I have something called misophonia.

I don't have that miso - thing, but there are definitely some sounds that annoy me.

The local news reader's voice (it sounds like the screeching of chalk on a chalkboard).
A whistling sound coming out of a certain politician's mouth while speaking. (mute button)
The background noise of most TV commercials. (I have to mute commercials)

Most reactions

Back