The Coffee House

4FF04C21-81A6-4F96-A531-B5EC8E9F3219.jpeg
Northern California has lost more than 700 homes in the present and uncontained wildfires. There are fire crews on the NorCal fire lines from Florida, Colorado, Montana, Oregon and other states.

Thank You for all your help.

Last edited:
In another tragic experience, recently the LA Times, Pulitzer Prize winning, food critic, Jonathon Gold, 58, passed from pancreatic cancer. Gold was amazing and was loved by all in the city. Until Gold, most food critics reviewed only the better, upper scale, Michelin rated restaurants. Gold went into all the neighborhoods across this sprawling city of 4 million in a county of 11 million. He ate at Ma & Pa places, food trucks, hole-in-the-walls and ethnic restaurants. He was a weekly treasure map of discovery for Angelenos. He was the Anthony Bourdain before Anthony Bourdain. Bourdain brought the cultures and tastes of the world into Gary house. Gold took Gary out of his house and showed him world tastes and cultures in neighborhoods he would not have normally visited.

@snowbear and @JonA_CT , you two are the best!

Wade: If it's one of the SRT models, it should be a "standard" Minolta mount. I don't think they changed the mounts until the Maxxum series was out, around the mid 1980s.
Thank you!! This narrows it down, and I think I might know which model... I vaguely remember two cameras: one was silver and looked like the old "classic" film cameras and the other was black, a bit bulkier, and I remember a small screen on top. But I think I only ever saw him use one--given my age and the age of the camera from your description, it was the Maxxum series. The lens I found is the Maxxum AF 50 (see picture below).

I did a quick web search for Minolta Maxxum, and I seem to recall the oddly-shaped and designed Maxxum 7000. Hard to forget a shutter button like that!

Here's a picture I found on the web: https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/431/19266549476_654f920d82_b.jpg

Wade — if what Charlie said is true, let me know...I have a Minolta film camera that I’ll send your way.
Jon, which camera do you have? If you're not using it, I'll gladly accept and pay! :) I've been meaning to get into film more; now that I found some of my grandfather's stuff, the motivation is back!

Also, I did find this really cool video camera... not sure super 8 film is in my budget to play around with, but it's definitely neat to have. I'm going to keep looking through some of the boxes to see if I find anything else. I did find a Brownie camera, but it's in really, really rough shape.

BTW, in the Sankyo video camera photo, that's my grandfather's old camera bag. LOL.

Old cameras by Wade, on Flickr

Old cameras by Wade, on Flickr

I think the 7000 is the changeover for Minolta mounts; I don't believe any of the earlier models had AF. The earlier lenses, at least back to the 70's, were labeled MC or MD "Rokkor" or Rokkor-X" (I think the actual brand name, like older Nikon "Nikkor" lenses)

Rain rain go away and come back tonight.
The lights flickered and then went out.
A generator is running a couple strings of lights and the register. I cleaned the restrooms and break room by the light of my EDC Fenix P2D. An old light but a good one! Cleaned out the floor machine and have it all ready for when the power comes back. Sold my pennies to Trish and depending if Peoples Bank has power may or may not get another. Going to head that way soon and see. Then PO, the box at the front of the neighborhood and then home.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Beach therapy. Cheaper and more effective than the alternative.

I had a nice photo to post but the ridiculous size limits make it too much effort.

I think the 7000 is the changeover for Minolta mounts; I don't believe any of the earlier models had AF. The earlier lenses, at least back to the 70's, were labeled MC or MD "Rokkor" or Rokkor-X" (I think the actual brand name, like older Nikon "Nikkor" lenses)
What's with the "kkor" moniker?

"Rokkor" comes from Rokko, a mountain visible from Minolta's lens factory in Japan.
"Nikkor" comes from a shortening of Nippon Kogaku (Japan Optical), which was Nikon's original name.

As for the "r" at the end, my guess is it was inspired by all the German lens design names that
ended in "...ar" such as Protar, Tessar, Elmar, Zoomar, etc dating back to the late 1800s.
And, my guess is these names were inspired by the German word "okular" (of the eyes).

But, in any case, there have been a zillion lens design names ending in either "-ar" or "-or."

Yes, the Maxxum 7000 was Minolta's first AF SLR and it was also the first really successful AF SLR from any manufacturer. (Nikon, Canon, Pentax and others made earlier ones but they were not very practical and they flopped.) The 7000 used Minolta's new AF mount which was used on all its subsequent Maxxum models and is still used on Sony Alpha DSLRs.

There were actually 4 Minolta manual focus SLR mounts: SR, MC, MD and MD X600.

The Minolta X600 camera had a "focus confirmation" feature requiring an additional tab on the MD mount. These cameras were never marketed by Minolta in the USA but the lenses were.

Last edited:

"Rokkor" comes from Rokko, a mountain visible from Minolta's lens factory in Japan.
"Nikkor" comes from a shortening of Nippon Kogaku (Japan Optical), which was Nikon's original name.

As for the "r" at the end, my guess is it was inspired by all the German lens design names that
ended in "...ar" such as Protar, Tessar, Elmar, Zoomar, etc dating back to the late 1800s.
And, my guess is these names were inspired by the German word "okular" (of the eyes).

But, in any case, there have been a zillion lens design names ending in either "-ar" or "-or."
Awesome, thank you!

Most reactions

Back