The Coffee House

William Shatner is coming here. What exactly does he do on stage??! I mean, when it's not a Trekkie autograph signing type event? It's at a theater, sounds like a one man show; I'm trying to imagine what he does, he doesn't sing does he?? lol I have a friend that I bet will go so I suppose I'll find out.

Well, the work computer (actually the user account) is fixed, sort of. It turns out the security software is interpreting .lock files as malicious. The problem is, when a map is opened in the GIS software, a lock is placed on the local databases (not the countywide enterprise servers) where the map layers reside. So I'm still just working in Python, today.

Glad the eye work went well, Smoke. Mine went fine, and it'a been a year, already.

I tried to slice off the tip of my right "social" finger while washing dishes, yesterday. I've been put out of commission by MLW for a couple of days.

Missing tips and Python don't work well together. This will not fix your problem, I'm just being to sexy for my keyboard, lol. Hopefully, no alarms sound off...

# Mandelbrot set
print (lambda Ru,Ro,Iu,Io,IM,Sx,Sy:reduce(lambda x,y:x+y,map(lambda y,
Iu=Iu,Io=Io,Ru=Ru,Ro=Ro,Sy=Sy,L=lambda yc,Iu=Iu,Io=Io,Ru=Ru,Ro=Ro,i=IM,
Sx=Sx,Sy=Sy:reduce(lambda x,y:x+y,map(lambda x,xc=Ru,yc=yc,Ru=Ru,Ro=Ro,
i=i,Sx=Sx,F=lambda xc,yc,x,y,k,f=lambda xc,yc,x,y,k,f:(k<=0)or (x*x+y*y
>=4.0) or 1+f(xc,yc,x*x-y*y+xc,2.0*x*y+yc,k-1,f):f(xc,yc,x,y,k,f):chr(
64+F(Ru+x*(Ro-Ru)/Sx,yc,0,0,i)),range(Sx))):L(Iu+y*(Io-Iu)/Sy),range(Sy
))))(-2.1, 0.7, -1.2, 1.2, 30, 80, 24)
# \___ ___/ \___ ___/ | | |__ lines on screen
# V V | |______ columns on screen
# | | |__________ maximum of "iterations"
# | |_________________ range on y axis
# |____________________________ range on x axis

Last edited:
OK I saw this before and at first was trying to think what do you wear that would be called a wife beater?! But really JC, this is the 21st century, something named after hitting a spouse is really not something to joke about.

Not to start an argument but to enlighten. The term used for a tank top type shirt supposedly had an early start in the Medieval era as "waif beater", referring to a knight who on the field of battle lost his clothing, leaving only his chainmail undershirt intact. That man, left abandoned on the field and certainly ready to be speared, was called a "waif beater," with "waif" referring to an abandoned person and "beater" as in he's about to get beat. The actual use of the term first came about in today's use around the last of the 1800's thanks to the NYT who used 'wife beater", to describe someone who had committed the act. It became tied to the shirt in the late 40's when a viral news story showed a Michigan man in a dirty white tank top, who was arrested for beating his wife to death. Throughout the publicity of the murder and trial, it always showed him in the white tank top, and referred to him as wife beater.

Up to this point it was considered a derogatory term, but thanks to Hollywood they started the trend toward glamorizing the shirt as a symbol of violent, abusive and outright dangerous men. Remember "A Street Car Named Desire"? What Hollywood shows, people want to emulate, so it's no surprise that it became rooted in the 90's as a confluence of rising "rap, gay and gang subcultures." Fashion followed with not only the shirts, but the term being bantered about among the fashionable elites, and the magazines that served them.

It's only been in recent times that the general sentiment is swinging back to the derogatory meaning. As with all transitions they take time to work their way out of the general language use of the population. I doubt very seriously that JC or any other man or women who either has used or will use the term again during the transition is making light of abuse of a spouse, but rather was an innocent transgression.

Well, the work computer (actually the user account) is fixed, sort of. It turns out the security software is interpreting .lock files as malicious. The problem is, when a map is opened in the GIS software, a lock is placed on the local databases (not the countywide enterprise servers) where the map layers reside. So I'm still just working in Python, today.
I hate when stuff like that happens. One time I had to get IT on the phone with someone from a regulatory agency, because the agency's software wasn't working with my company's IT/security. Fun stuff. LOL

William Shatner is coming here. What exactly does he do on stage??! I mean, when it's not a Trekkie autograph signing type event? It's at a theater, sounds like a one man show; I'm trying to imagine what he does, he doesn't sing does he?? lol I have a friend that I bet will go so I suppose I'll find out.

He probably says profound and illuminating things like "name your own price" or "jelly jiggles and bellies wiggle".

Afternoon y'all. Truck didn't even crank a full turn this morning so drove the expired Mitsubishi to work.
5.42 hours. Was to install a shelf in the meat deprtment but that is put off until Wednesday.
The filters that were supposed to be changed on the 20th got here today. So got that done.
I would have thought that all the walking I do behind machines and otherwise and all the
ladder climbing etc. would have made me feel better. But it ain't happening that way.
My right leg sometimes aches.

Anyhow have done my comics, all but one roll in the box of pennies I'll sell tomorrow and have Shine Down playing on YouTube.

OK I saw this before and at first was trying to think what do you wear that would be called a wife beater?! But really JC, this is the 21st century, something named after hitting a spouse is really not something to joke about.

Not to start an argument but to enlighten. The term used for a tank top type shirt supposedly had an early start in the Medieval era as "waif beater", referring to a knight who on the field of battle lost his clothing, leaving only his chainmail undershirt intact. That man, left abandoned on the field and certainly ready to be speared, was called a "waif beater," with "waif" referring to an abandoned person and "beater" as in he's about to get beat. The actual use of the term first came about in today's use around the last of the 1800's thanks to the NYT who used 'wife beater", to describe someone who had committed the act. It became tied to the shirt in the late 40's when a viral news story showed a Michigan man in a dirty white tank top, who was arrested for beating his wife to death. Throughout the publicity of the murder and trial, it always showed him in the white tank top, and referred to him as wife beater.

Up to this point it was considered a derogatory term, but thanks to Hollywood they started the trend toward glamorizing the shirt as a symbol of violent, abusive and outright dangerous men. Remember "A Street Car Named Desire"? What Hollywood shows, people want to emulate, so it's no surprise that it became rooted in the 90's as a confluence of rising "rap, gay and gang subcultures." Fashion followed with not only the shirts, but the term being bantered about among the fashionable elites, and the magazines that served them.

It's only been in recent times that the general sentiment is swinging back to the derogatory meaning. As with all transitions they take time to work their way out of the general language use of the population. I doubt very seriously that JC or any other man or women who either has used or will use the term again during the transition is making light of abuse of a spouse, but rather was an innocent transgression.
thanks bud, I think...

I just farted and baby girl jumped about three feet.

We need a mansplain button to go with all the others.

Ayup.
Huh... "wife-beater" is offensive, but "mainsplainin'" (atrocious grammar aside) is supposed to be acceptable? Interesting...

It's mansplaining, not "mainsplainin" and yes, references to physical violence against women are more offensive than a term that calls out rude behavior.
Apologies. I missed the memo appointing you the arbiter responsible for determining degrees of offensiveness.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back