The Coffee House

In other news...oh my friggin' god, I feel like I'm 15 years old again!

I dragged out the albums I'd saved for all these years. Some were mine, and some belonged to my sisters or brothers and are now mine by default because they never claimed the records. I have (in no particular order):
Pet Shop Boys
Spandau Ballet
Grease soundtrack
Creedence Clearwater Revival, featuring John Fogerty, Greatest Hits
Yes, Close to the Edge
Rush, Permanent Waves/Hold Your Fire (and of course 2112)
Moody Blues, The Other Side of Life
Huey Lewis and the News
The B-52's
Bryan Adams - 4 albums (I had a huge crush on him when I was 14)
Michael Jackson, Thriller (!!)
Hit Explosion - this was my first record ever! I think it was for my 12th birthday or something like that. It's just a compilation of hits. It's got Joe Jackson, Rod Steward, Stevie Miller Band, Pat Benatar, Joan Jett Santana, ooh, A Flock of Seagulls!...

Damnit! It's a school night and all I want to do is stay up and listen to records!! But I still have some homework to do and then I have to get to bed :p

Leonore, hack the local radio station and call in an all-night snowstorm. They'll cancel school and you can chill out (in a good way). Easy peasy. It might be illegal, but we won't say a thing.

Actual records! Like made of actual vinyl! Wow! We got rid of ours in 2004 when we had to move a long distance and when I heard what it cost per pound to move stuff I decided they had to go, especially since we knew we would come back and so the cost would be double. I picked the 2 or 3 most obscure things I had (mostly old jazz recordings) and found them in five minutes on CD on Amazon. We've since replaced a small fraction of them with CD's and haven't missed the rest.

image.jpg
Ordered my first ever canvas wrap. 20x30 landscape. Going to place on a pale green wall. Just really excited. Ed

Oh, I can get all of the music digitally if I wanted, and it wouldn't cost much.

I love how accessible music is these days, and how much of it I can carry around with me on my cell phone or stream on any computer with my Pandora account.

But...it's just different. Playing these records tonight has made me realize that listening to music just isn't as much of an occasion as it used to be. It was a thing to do, not just to have music in the background or to drown out the sounds on the bus or whatever. We used to set aside time to just listen to music and talk about it, look at all the liner notes and artwork. We couldn't listen whenever we wanted to, so when we did get to hear the albums on the record player, we paid attention and really listened. It felt more special somehow.

At least that was my experience with music while I was growing up.

That's quite a tapestry you've got there, Ed. Very nice.

Better to ask forgiveness than permission, they say.
she will thank me in the end. The day i drop my dslr out of the boat or canoe wont be good. We lost a tablet out of the boat a couple years back. And it didn't even fall out, i just spun the boat around and the waves came over the bow. Buh bye tablet.....

Bri, you need a waterproof P&S, with a float attached. I've dropped mine more than a few times (while on boat or kayak), and I still have it, in full working order.
so that is what i forgot. I need to get a floaty...

In other news...oh my friggin' god, I feel like I'm 15 years old again!

I dragged out the albums I'd saved for all these years. Some were mine, and some belonged to my sisters or brothers and are now mine by default because they never claimed the records. I have (in no particular order):
Pet Shop Boys
Spandau Ballet
Grease soundtrack
Creedence Clearwater Revival, featuring John Fogerty, Greatest Hits
Yes, Close to the Edge
Rush, Permanent Waves/Hold Your Fire (and of course 2112)
Moody Blues, The Other Side of Life
Huey Lewis and the News
The B-52's
Bryan Adams - 4 albums (I had a huge crush on him when I was 14)
Michael Jackson, Thriller (!!)
Hit Explosion - this was my first record ever! I think it was for my 12th birthday or something like that. It's just a compilation of hits. It's got Joe Jackson, Rod Steward, Stevie Miller Band, Pat Benatar, Joan Jett Santana, ooh, A Flock of Seagulls!...

Damnit! It's a school night and all I want to do is stay up and listen to records!! But I still have some homework to do and then I have to get to bed :p
I have this one around here, somewhere.
Parliament-Mothership-Connection.jpg

Congrats on the turntable, Lenny! I still remember a Kenwood I had back in the early '80's, thing had a base of marble and weighed 31lbs!! Because you didn't want any vibration, of course!! Negative on Rush, though. One of the few bands I could just never take a liking to.

Buenos Dias Coffee Hosers. And A Happy Post F**king B-Day to you Marija
awww that's so sweet of you Grumpy ;) Here's a post :icon_hug:for you

I'm late, too - but happy effing birthday, Maria! ;) Hope it was lovely!
It's never too late Terri for effing bday :) :icon_hug:

@mmaria Oh, no, dear daughter of mine, how did I miss THAT?? I don't say that word that's getting tossed around a lot (my sister says it enough for BOTH of us, though…lol), but I do hope you had a mostly happy birthday, with significantly decreased levels of anger!!
You deserve a wonderful, happy day!! Don't let the turkeys out there rob you of that!! :D
32, eh? I don't even remember being that young!
Oh ma! Really, how could you missed THIS??

No problem for that word, I've said it plenty of times this time for both of us :)

And... I chose to think that 32 is really young, best years (all next numbers will be best years from now)... and what's really weird... I think I look better than I did in my 20ies!

Anyway ma, Santa still hasn't delivered the present :( Stupid postal service!

Good morning peeps.

The ice/rain storm last night was mostly rain for us, HOWEVER we are patiently awaiting the next storm that is supposed to bring us a "significant accumulation" of snow.

Off to work!

Morning, hosers! Slushy here, but melting. Like Charlie, we are waiting to see what we get tomorrow. This morning one channel actually admitted they have no idea by showing four different models which predicted anywhere from almost zero to ten inches! They ended up averaging them and getting something like 6-8. A good day to work at home in any event.

We're waiting on a wintry mix to start around noon today. They canceled school last night, so the grandson and I will be stuck inside today.

Most reactions

Back