The Coffee House

Wee, after 3+ years on TPF, I have added an avatar :bouncingsmileys:

I took it 1.5 yrs ago and was probably the 1st photo I was truly proud of..it looks a little sharper on my computer than as an avatar, but hey..

I took it 1.5 yrs ago and was probably the 1st photo I was truly proud of..it looks a little sharper on my computer than as an avatar, but hey..

Congrats! :D

Well, your new avatar is cute!

Thanks about my Avatar !
If someone had said it would be a bird, I would have said 'No way!"
Funny how things happen...well, sometimes. :)

I am off to Boston by bus tomorrow morning about 1.15 hour from me at Cape Cod Canal. $33 RT.
by the time I would find a parking garage for my HUGE Tundra and pay for the day, the bus is easier for me :)
'Scalping' my Red Sox tickets I got for free and going on a photo opp of Boston.
Now if I just had someone with me to really 'go to town with' photo wise, I'd be ok ;{

Hey hosers!! What's everyone doing this evening?
My day started out quite nicely, but ended on a bit of downer (but ONLY a bit, in the grand scheme of things).

Sat out in the backyard this morning, enjoying my hummingbirds. Got, I think, some pretty decent pictures of them and just enjoyed a relaxing, no-rush kind of morning.
Then my sister called and asked if I wanted to have a late breakfast, so I joined her for breakfast, then we went and visited Mom and then we took off in *her* convertible (which is a Miata, way smaller than MY convertible) and just drove and enjoyed the day. Went to a little city with a "historic district," poked around in a few of the antique shops they had, took a few pictures (in the stores--light was way too harsh outside).

Unfortunately, we had to head home about 4 p.m. because I had a photo shoot at 6 p.m.

And THAT is where it all went wrong. I *totally* botched that shoot--UGH!! Worst I've felt about the results of a photo shoot yet! The "main" subjects were small children (one about 5, one just 15 months) who had NOT had their naps, even though that was the WHOLE point of doing it when we did, so they could have naps.
But that wasn't the biggest problem--the biggest problem was ME. I could not get it together. I either missed focus entirely, or I didn't pay attention to the background, or I didn't realize that one of them had ended up out of the shade and right in the harsh sunlight. But MOSTLY, I missed focus--over and over again.
Why? Because I did not THINK AHEAD.

When I got the D800, I decided to try back-button focusing. Took a while to get used to, but now I *am* used to it. I've thought, over and over, about switching the D7000 to BBF, but haven't bothered to do it. And haven't shot with both cameras since I got the D800, so it never really mattered.
Well, today it mattered. And I stupidly didn't even think about it, until I was shooting.
I kept trying to use BBF only to realize I had the D7000 in my hand, then I'd try to adjust, and next thing I know, I'm pressing the shutter halfway down on the D800. UGHUGHUGH!!! So I missed focus on BOTH cameras, over and over. It just stunk.

The one saving grace is that these kids are (sort of) related to me. My cousin was the one who hired me to take the pictures, and the kids are her grandchildren (the children of her adopted daughter, hence only "sort of" related to me).

I think I *may* be able to salvage enough shots to make it worth what she paid me (which wasn't much, by my choice), but UGH.

NancyMoranG said:

OMG Mabel, I need one of my heart pills, NOW!

I am off to Boston by bus tomorrow morning about 1.15 hour from me at Cape Cod Canal. $33 RT.
by the time I would find a parking garage for my HUGE Tundra and pay for the day, the bus is easier for me :)
'Scalping' my Red Sox tickets I got for free and going on a photo opp of Boston.
Now if I just had someone with me to really 'go to town with' photo wise, I'd be ok ;{

That sounds like fun!

Sharon, sorry your day was so .....boy, there's a few words to insert there!
But as my
Mom/ dad would say, "lesson learned without too much damage is well remembered".

Most reactions

New Topics

Back