The Coffee House

Long weekend? Labor Day is a week away (9/7)
Bummer. (for me)

I actually was looking forward to closing the pool THIS WEEKEND, but was reminded that; "We usually close it on Labor Day weekend." (me) "You mean this is not Labor Day weekend?" (she) "It's next weekend."

So why can't this be Labor Day weekend too?

That way we could have two of them, which could come in handy.

Morning, hosers.

My college starts after Labor Day. Of course this means that finals go right up to Dec 23rd, and if it snows during finals week, the make-up day is Christmas Eve. But whatever, I still have a week before classes start! :boogie:

Yep - only six more County holidays this year - three in November.

You just had to go and tell me that, didn't you? That 31st day just got away from me. I suppose I'll survive today somehow.
just wait a week and you should be good to go :)

easy for you to say ...
I remember the good old days when school started after Labor Day.

My son's been back in school for 3 weeks already. Summer seems to be getting shorter and shorter.

Bummer. (for me)

I actually was looking forward to closing the pool THIS WEEKEND, but was reminded that; "We usually close it on Labor Day weekend." (me) "You mean this is not Labor Day weekend?" (she) "It's next weekend."

You wouldn't have to close a pool down here till mid to late November. lol

Yep - only six more County holidays this year - three in November.

What's a holiday? I get to work every third day no matter what day it is. :D

Morning, hosers.

My college starts after Labor Day. Of course this means that finals go right up to Dec 23rd, and if it snows during finals week, the make-up day is Christmas Eve. But whatever, I still have a week before classes start! :boogie:

What do you teach?

What do you teach?

Academic writing. Most of my classes are for ESL students just one step below Eng 101 (they just need a semester or two to improve their writing skills), but I also teach Eng 101 (College Composition). And some semesters when there's a stray Eng 102 (Intro to Literature) class, I get to teach that too :)

My background is in Linguistics, not literature, but it's a community college and it's hard to get a subject like that into the curriculum. My boss has been trying to get it going, though, and has established an Intro to Linguistics class that runs pretty reliably. This semester we tried opening a second section for me to teach, but it's not going to run (not enough enrollment), so I have to wait a little bit longer before I get to teach that.

You just had to go and tell me that, didn't you? That 31st day just got away from me. I suppose I'll survive today somehow.

easy for you to say ...
Hey Jack ... I was in your neck of the woods yesterday. It was a very pleasant evening at the Festival & Pageant.

Buenas Dias Coffee Hosers. This is the last day of the heat wave so I gotta get an early walk into The Cook. Otherwise, she just lags and hangs out in the shadows. The Pageant was thoroughly entertaining, with some splashes of Hollywood. The amphitheater is like a sawed-off Hollywood Bowl (much smaller in all regards compared to The Bowl), tucked into a little canyon/arroyo, surrounded by steep hills a few blocks from the Pacific. We sipped the last of our Arneis watching the pageant recreate art with live actors. The Cook and I are off.

easy for you to say ...
Hey Jack ... I was in your neck of the woods yesterday. It was a very pleasant evening at the Festival & Pageant.

Good morning. I saw that you were going to be local. I will have to see if Wifey would like to go again. It's been about 4 years.
Always a good time!

Most reactions

Back