The Coffee House

Yeah, we're being told 6-8 inches and that the rain will turn into snow around 10 am. My school will either close first thing in the morning, at 11 or 12, and for evening classes, the decision is made at 3pm. The other parts of the equation for tomorrow in particular is that every Wednesday from 11-1, we have "Common Hour" when there are no scheduled classes and students can go to club meetings or faculty/admin can have meetings. So if they don't announce a closure at 6-7 am, then they very well might close campus at 11. I'm not going to drive in the snow to work for one friggin' hour.

Plus, it's the day before Thanksgiving, so even if they stay open until 3pm, they'd be crazy to stay open for evening classes because tomorrow night would be a ghost town even in good weather.

Wow, I remember those times. I'm off to the Desert on T-Day for some sun and maybe a buggy ride. :)

Meh. Doesn't bother me. If I don't have to drive, then it's really a non-issue. And even if I do have to drive, I've got my snow tires on and actually know what I'm doing, so it's just stressful staying away from the other idiots.

If the power goes out, it'll be inconvenient to be sure, but there's wood and a wood-burning stove, jugs of water in the basement for flushing the toilet, and a country store across the street that runs a generator and makes coffee and pizza. I'm pretty much set :)

........... And even if I do have to drive, I've got my snow tires on and actually know what I'm doing, so it's just stressful staying away from the other idiots......
QFT! One inch of snow here and they close the schools! It's hilarious watching the idiots still driving the speed limit and losing it lol!!

I'll never forget the night I was driving home on the parkway in terrible conditions. Couldn't even tell where the lanes were. And these are not flat, straight roads, either. I had gotten off the parkway to see if a side road was better, but it wasn't, so I got back at the same exit. I passed a minivan and a subaru outback (!!), both stuck on the entrance ramp. Once on the parkway again and heading up a hill, I passed 3 or 4 SUVs spinning their wheels or sideways on the side of the road. I just puttered past all of them in 2nd gear, low revs, keeping my tires as straight as possible.

The winters around here are a big part of why I still insist on driving a car with a manual transmission. It's not the only reason, but it makes such a difference in bad weather that even if I was fine with an auto transmission the rest of the year (which I'm not), I would still want a manual for the winter.

I'll never forget the night I was driving home on the parkway in terrible conditions. Couldn't even tell where the lanes were. And these are not flat, straight roads, either. I had gotten off the parkway to see if a side road was better, but it wasn't, so I got back at the same exit. I passed a minivan and a subaru outback (!!), both stuck on the entrance ramp. Once on the parkway again and heading up a hill, I passed 3 or 4 SUVs spinning their wheels or sideways on the side of the road. I just puttered past all of them in 2nd gear, low revs, keeping my tires as straight as possible.

The winters around here are a big part of why I still insist on driving a car with a manual transmission. It's not the only reason, but it makes such a difference in bad weather that even if I was fine with an auto transmission the rest of the year (which I'm not), I would still want a manual for the winter.
so you are admitting you purposely ride the clutch and burn out the clutches in your cars?

Who said I was riding the clutch? I'm not burning anything out. I'm at 165,000 miles and still on the original.

Of course, now you've made me jinx it! *knocks on wood*

My father was a European mechanic. If I treated a car poorly, he'd rise from the dead and beat me right into next week.

Good morning, Hosers!

We got a little snow this morning, and expecting more. At some point, when it stops, I will have to get out and do my snow-removing ritual.

I need to make another pilgrimage to the grocery store. I went yesterday, but had no intention whatsoever of getting everything in one trip.

Raining pretty hard here and it's supposed to turn to snow sometime this afternoon/evening. Estimates have varied wildly, but I wouldn't be surprised by anything from zero to four inches. I can't remember getting snow before early December in NYC or Philly until the Halloween event last year, and now this.

Morning, Hoser! :D

It's already snowing here and my school has closed. I'm glad they were smart about it. Bad weather on the day before T'giving break - what's the point of opening?

So I have a lovely day to myself and cooking my share of T'giving dinner will be much less stressful. Unfortunately, I'm also at the start of one of my Jesus headaches :boggled:

Good morning - 6:30am here and I'm on my first cup. Work today for me. Hope everyone has a good one.
Gary - your seeing too many good movies. I'll need to see one soon. :)

I don't see many movies at all. I rarely go to a movie theater. There's one artsy movie house that Buzz and I like to go to. I think the last time we went, they were showing the director's cut of The Blues Brothers (love that movie). And if I remember correctly, the last time I went to see a new movie in a theater was the last Star Trek movie. Because that kind of movie needs the big screen.

Today's a good day for curling up on the couch with my kitties and watching some film noir, though.

Most reactions

Back