The Colour Pink

Peanuts

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.brittanyesther.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I am curious to which version people like better or if they can improve either more. Just a little background on the picture, it was taken this past weekend at an Endcancer Walk, in which 2200 (mostly women) walked 64km in two days to help raise funds for more research to be done, especially in the area of Breast Cancer.
I am entirely new to Photoshop, so I am still in the 'awe' stage of selective colouring. :lol: As a self critique: 1. Whoops, cut her fingers off. 2. Sky is overexposed.

Some info for the original is

Exposure: 1/125
F Number: 10
Focal length: 70

Your opinions are greatly appreciated.

34692398_d46c3a7887.jpg

34692419_68d1723bab.jpg

Grand.. I thought I put this in critique, but either I am blind or someone moved it. lol.

i think you've captured a nice moment here.
i'm not very good when it comes to selective coloring, so i can't help you there.
i wanted to see more of her face, and lovely smile though, so i did lighten it a bit.
ok... a lot. i have a tendency to over do things sometimes.
oh, ok... a lot of the time. :)

thanks for sharing!

amxi60

amxkdv

You have a nice image here, really. But the selective coloring has, well... I guess it's just got to go.

I mean, generally, I'm no fan of it. So there's that. But the idea is for the one spot to catch your eye, and this picture has too much going for it to blow it on a pink bow (even if the bow is deeply symbolic).

Don't take this the wrong way - like I said, you've captured a great moment. And others are free to disagree, but I find the "selective color" bit hokey. I think I'd like the picture in B&W, straigt up. If you keep it in color, consider cropping out the water bottle at the bottom left b/c it's distracting.

As for the other poster who re-edited, I like the softer light in the original black and white. There's some nice hilighting on the man's face I wouldn't want to give up, and the edited photo looks washed out.

Again, this really is a nice image. Don't let that part of my critique slip by.

I know I am just a noob, but I hope my input is okay.
I think that because your main focus is really right smack in the middle and your eyes dont really get to go anywhere else, that the bow being the object of color really throws the image off. To me the image brings on a cozy friendly moment type feeling but when the bow is the selected object of color, the entire picture loses feeling. I think it might have worked better if the bow were in a more centered spot. Being off to the side weighs down one side of the image when it is the only colored object. I would leave it in as the full color pic, but lighten the faces so you can catch more of the emotion that is shining through these people. I love the feeling in this picture.

Great! thanks for your repsonses everyone. If I have time later today I will try and edit the colour of the photo somewhat. Now that some of you mention how the pink bow seems to distract from the main point of the image, I see it now. Thanks everyone :D

selective coloring has its place. the bow is so small i didnt know it was colored. if the bow was sentimental then i would keep it colored. usually i think the selective coloring works when you want something to stand out. i like the colored picture better. i think people sometimes use black and white just to be cool. even if the picture would look as good or better in color. so my bias would lead me to say stick with color unless you have a good reason for using black and white. the picture would need a more balanced tonal range to benefit from the black and white IMHO. and if the water bottle bothers you dont crop it, "shop" it (photoshop). ;)

my 2 cents: highlighting the pink bow pulls my eye away from their faces which is where the focus should be.

Most reactions

Back