The Colour Red

phew! Just needed to make sure!

Hey, did you notice your reds were oversaturated?!?!?!

:lol:

:banghead:

...Wait...

Are you trying to say the reds are oversaturated...?

Oh, crap! The reds are oversaturated. Damn, I better fix that. :lmao:

(Someone give manaheim a Tylenol; that fever sure seems to me messing with him...in a good way. He caught that the reds were oversaturated; something someone in a normal state of mind probably wouldn't see. :lol: )

Okay, I got my colour checker card today (I already love the thing). (Munsell Color Mini card from xrite, for the curious.) Red is still a bloody annoyance, but I think I'm seeing an overall improvement. The only problem is that I think the DNG Profile Editor really mucked-up WB. I now have to up the tint to magenta from +4 to +60.

But that's a piece of cake to fix. Here's the results. Before profiling:

IMG_6864-368-2.jpg

And after:

IMG_6864-368.jpg

I think the skin tones are being reproduced more accurately in the latter.

This is exactly the type of thing camera profiling is designed to fix. What RAW converter are you using? I find for instance Lightroom using the "Adobe Standard" profile brings the colours under control that are typically a bit over exited on the Nikon D200.

Have a play with the DNG Profiles editor DNG Profiles - Adobe Labs Don't worry it works even if you don't use DNGs. Try reducing the red primary slightly but watch your skin tones.

"Quit playing with your DNG (dingy)."

Sorry, but if you watched Tommy Boy its funnier.

To answer your question I have problems seeing errors in either. I know you got your problem fixed for the most part, but I wouldn't totally stress out over it. The photos still look really rich and vivid regardless. I know you still wanna fix it, though.

I'm not stressing over it, but I do want to do produce the best possible photographic work I can. ;) (I have every intention of turning photography into something that generates income for me later on, and the only way to do that effectively is to be very good. I'm mostly concerned with skin tones though, since I really want to shoot people.)

I'm not stressing over it, but I do want to do produce the best possible photographic work I can. ;) (I have every intention of turning photography into something that generates income for me later on, and the only way to do that effectively is to be very good. I'm mostly concerned with skin tones though, since I really want to shoot people.)

I totally understand. I'm just one of those overly optimistic people who tries to compliment people who are too hard on themselves.

The photos look good.

Tehe. Thanks. Spot metering and centre focusing moving targets was a little tricky.

The second looks better. But now the blue and red seem equally saturated. (blue more, red less) so maybe a slight reduction in saturation would bring the entire image under control more.

Most reactions

Back