The confusing issues (for me) of circular and linear filters

urslow

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi,
Please forgive me for asking this, as I'm sure thre have been many discussions on filters in general, but I'm asking what you would do with what I have.

I have a Nikon N65 AF camera, which can also be used in manual focus.
I mainly take pictures of animals, nature, flowers, and railroads.

While I mainly use the camera in auto focus mode (don't ask me why), I have realized that maybe I should be using manual focus, which wouldn't bother me. I need polarizing filters for my 2 lenses.

Would you buy a circular or linear polarizer? Keeping in mind the possibility of using the camera in manual focus mode.
Then, what is the difference between polarizing and warming polarizers.

I hope this all makes sense if not please feel free to email me and I'd be more than happy to answer your questions. I appreciate the help. I also need to get this figured out real soon,, because we are going to yellowstone, and I'd like to be somewhat prepared to take nice shots with the real blue sky :).

Again, I really appreciate your thoughts,
Al

i don't know muc habout your particular question, but i do have a suggestion. If you have two lenses that are different sizes, then buy a filter for the bigger lens and get a step-up ring that transitions from the smaller to the larger lens.

You need the circular polarizer. Your exposure meter won't work with a linear polarizer.

Also, a polarizer cuts glare from reflected light and cuts haze from the sky, etc. A warming filter adds a warm glow to the whole scene, by adding a warm yellow-orange tint.

Your exposure meter won't work with a linear polarizer.

Hadn't heard that one before. I do know that linear polarizers will make autofocus wig out. I'd read that somewhere and had the opportunity to test it out myself. Sure enough, get the polarizer turned right where you want it, and the autofocus doesn't know whether it's coming or going.

Most reactions

Back