The Conspicuous Photographer

Make the shots fast and drop the camera back down quickly seemed to be his mantra. I don't know if it will work for you, or if you already do that, but if not, it can't hurt to give it a 'shot'

Pretty sure I saw that exact advice from @The_Traveler when I first joined this site.
Oh, sorry, I didn't try to do a thorough search of all advice ever given on the topic, and I doubt I could have done it in time to reply before the thread had turned stale. lol
I should have started with the caveat "You've probably heard this before, but in case you haven't...":oops:
I don't know anything about taking pictures, I only know about presenting them after the fact.:allteeth:

There is another issue.
The people around where I go in Baltimore are generally working poor and I won't take shots that use their circumstance as emotional leverage. That's like taking pictures of the homeless. I thinks it is cheap and unprofessional.

Additionally, there is some wariness about the black population; they have been mistreated too often and I don't plan to be part of that group who uses them for camera fodder. I'm not doing trailblazing work, telling the world about their problems, I don't need to prey on their vulnerabilities to get shots.

This is my favorite picture I ever took in that area.

upload_2016-10-17_16-46-46.png

Oh, sorry, I didn't try to do a thorough search of all advice ever given on the topic, and I doubt I could have done it in time to reply before the thread had turned stale. lol

Sorry, didn't mean to imply that you should have. It just struck me that I was pretty sure he had given someone else that exact same device. Now that I see that quote that he added, I realize that must be what he posted previously.

@The_Traveler that is a great photo.

I don't think that's a bad thing necessarily.

IMO the best thing to do is just get the shot you're looking for by any means necessary. Whether it's a telephoto lens or asking permission. At least in most cases you won't go home disappointed. After you get the shot then go up to that person or people and show them your photo and then offer to send it to them. The worst thing that can happen is they make you delete it.

They can ABSOLUTELY not make you delete the image. In public there is no expectation of privacy, and you own that photo once you press the shutter release.

They can refuse to sign a release, meaning you can't use the photo for certain commercial uses. But it can still be used in an editorial capacity even without ever attempting to get their consent.

NOBODY can make you delete an image. Not the police. Not the governement. Not a judge. NOBODY.

IMO the best thing to do is just get the shot you're looking for by any means necessary. Whether it's a telephoto lens or asking permission. At least in most cases you won't go home disappointed. After you get the shot then go up to that person or people and show them your photo and then offer to send it to them. The worst thing that can happen is they make you delete it.

They can ABSOLUTELY not make you delete the image. In public there is no expectation of privacy, and you own that photo once you press the shutter release.

They can refuse to sign a release, meaning you can't use the photo for certain commercial uses. But it can still be used in an editorial capacity even without ever attempting to get their consent.

NOBODY can make you delete an image. Not the police. Not the governement. Not a judge. NOBODY.
There are exceptions in the case of National Security, we do have areas where photography is verboten...I mean forbidden.

There are exceptions in the case of National Security, we do have areas where photography is verboten...I mean forbidden.

True, thought to my knowledge I don't live near anything where this would be a problem so I often forget about it. For general street photography, this isn't a worry.

Sprechen Sie Deutsch?

I don't think I'd be giving my home address to a stranger with a camera. :)

I agree with Garry Winogrand when he says that street photography is an odd name. When I'm out and about hoping to get a few shots of life in all its banal splendor, I like using a small wide-angled camera. Being intrusive is something I try to avoid and once a subject or scene comes up I take the shot, where possible, according to how the situation allows. Feeling awkward is normal, I think, and fumbling with the camera as Winogrand does is something I also find helpful.

Whilst the subjects are elements of the intended photo, I try not to take photos which might be considered offensive or that could cause distress. Respect and common sense are very important.

I don't worry about the ones that got away.

I'm pretty sure I've met some folks in LA (and I assume that they have relatives in most major cities) who could not only make you delete every photograph on your card, they could make you delete your camera and yourself! ;)

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure I've met some folks in LA (and I assume that they have relatives in most major cities) who could not only make you delete every photograph on your card, they could make you delete your camera and yourself! ;)

That's just silly. I can't delete myself.

I'm stored on the cloud.

Most reactions

Back