The Conspicuous Photographer

Question: Is it still "street" if you shoot people at work?

View attachment 129478

What is that on the table? Looks delicious.
That is Philippes the originator of the French Dip. On the plates are French Dips ... delish. I often take visitors to Philippe's and I always get a response of "This is the Best" or "This is one of the best" sandwiches I've ever eaten. Philippe's is one of the better known restaurants in LA. It was established in 1908. On that plate are some pickles and coleslaw.
Coles Pacific Electric Buffet made them in 1908, Phillippes started making them in 1918. Coles was the first.
Cole’s, Originator of the French Dip Sandwich, opened in 1908 in the Pacific Electric building, once the nucleus of the Pacific Electric railway network. In 2007, 213 Hospitality purchased the establishment and Cole’s reopened in 2008 with great acclaim, receiving rave reviews in numerous publications such as LA Weekly by one of LA’s top critics Jonathan Gold and the ‘25 Best Bars in America’ by GQ Magazine. Evoking the spirit of an early 20th century saloon, the welcoming 40-foot Red Car Bar boasts original glass lighting, penny tile floors, and historic photos, preserved in the restoration of the cherished landmark. The Red Car Bar’s ample selection of premium spirits, drafts, and historic cocktails compliment the saloon’s classic French Dip sandwiches. Cole’s also opened a second location at the Los Angeles International Airport in late 2013.
I personally dislike the soggy bread but there are those that like them. I like a nice open face roast beef sandwich with a thicker gravy than the much thinner and watery au jus used in french dips, it soaks in less.
They are both nice places for the ambiance.

I went out shooting in downtown DC yesterday with someone who wanted to see how I shot 'street' stuff; previously that kind of excursion has always proven to be not very productive for me. This was no exception.

Perhaps others have more and better technique but just having someone along breaks my concentration and I end up shooting less and worse.
Never again.

People are afraid of people with cameras. Its scary to think that some might think you are a pedo, a pervert, a terrorist or whatever when you go out shooting in public. Photography should be scary, but its been preventing me from doing what I want to do for years. I don't want to feel bad for taking photos or be questioned by police for taking architectural shot of a building from public sidewalk. Every time I go out shooting like that, I always feel like I'm being watched. I don't know, maybe I'm just paranoid. Lol

Question: Is it still "street" if you shoot people at work?

View attachment 129478

What is that on the table? Looks delicious.
That is Philippes the originator of the French Dip. On the plates are French Dips ... delish. I often take visitors to Philippe's and I always get a response of "This is the Best" or "This is one of the best" sandwiches I've ever eaten. Philippe's is one of the better known restaurants in LA. It was established in 1908. On that plate are some pickles and coleslaw.
Coles Pacific Electric Buffet made them in 1908, Phillippes started making them in 1918. Coles was the first.
Cole’s, Originator of the French Dip Sandwich, opened in 1908 in the Pacific Electric building, once the nucleus of the Pacific Electric railway network. In 2007, 213 Hospitality purchased the establishment and Cole’s reopened in 2008 with great acclaim, receiving rave reviews in numerous publications such as LA Weekly by one of LA’s top critics Jonathan Gold and the ‘25 Best Bars in America’ by GQ Magazine. Evoking the spirit of an early 20th century saloon, the welcoming 40-foot Red Car Bar boasts original glass lighting, penny tile floors, and historic photos, preserved in the restoration of the cherished landmark. The Red Car Bar’s ample selection of premium spirits, drafts, and historic cocktails compliment the saloon’s classic French Dip sandwiches. Cole’s also opened a second location at the Los Angeles International Airport in late 2013.
I personally dislike the soggy bread but there are those that like them. I like a nice open face roast beef sandwich with a thicker gravy than the much thinner and watery au jus used in french dips, it soaks in less.
They are both nice places for the ambiance.
Cole's 1908 claim is arguable Philippe's is pretty much in stone. At least according to an Los Angeles Times article of a few years ago ... if I remember correctly. The Jonathan Gold's 101 Best Restaurants 2016 was delivered this morning with my LA Times. In it is no mentioned of Cole's or Philippe's. Both Cole's and Philippe's are very good, but I prefer Philippe's ... ask for the double dip.

People are afraid of people with cameras. Its scary to think that some might think you are a pedo, a pervert, a terrorist or whatever when you go out shooting in public. Photography should be scary, but its been preventing me from doing what I want to do for years. I don't want to feel bad for taking photos or be questioned by police for taking architectural shot of a building from public sidewalk. Every time I go out shooting like that, I always feel like I'm being watched. I don't know, maybe I'm just paranoid. Lol
If it was me, I try to confront and address my fears, otherwise they will remain fears. I suggest you go out with your camera and walk around the places you would like to shoot. Do it a lot, many times a week and after a while, after you shoot a frame here a frame there ... you may get a bit more comfortable. Then build on that bit of comfort. Once you have attained a level of comfort, don't let anybody take that away from you. If you get looked at or harshly treated, keep going back. It is always easier said than done, but the longest journey starts with a single step.

If it was me, I try to confront and address my fears, otherwise they will remain fears. I suggest you go out with your camera and walk around the places you would like to shoot. Do it a lot, many times a week and after a while, after you shoot a frame here a frame there ... you may get a bit more comfortable. Then build on that bit of comfort. Once you have attained a level of comfort, don't let anybody take that away from you. If you get looked at or harshly treated, keep going back. It is always easier said than done, but the longest journey starts with a single step.

Unfortunately, I don't live anywhere like that. I have to go to cities to do that and just don't have the money to travel like that few times a week lol.

When I went to Boston in 2012, I walked all over the city with my camera and no one said a word. But I still feared that someone was going to say something. I really feel that its getting scarier being a photographer, we often get targeted and I don't want to feel like I'm a bad person for taking photos.

I am rarely without a visible camera and I've been challenged once in my life after taking a picture (although been waved off a bunch of times, never threateningly).
If the photographer makes it a big deal or is overly involved in making the picture then people will notice and start to make incorrect assumptions.

Taken this AM at a Farmer's Market; not a big deal picture but certainly up close.

upload_2016-10-30_13-4-29.png

Most reactions

Back