The Contest

abraxas

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Every year a little village in the mountains nearby celebrate what they call Mountaineer Days. There never was a mountaineer up there, but it's a nice escape with the kids to a high, cooler, elevation.

I thought this series was interesting (although technically wanting), and entertaining. Looked like fun even if there were some anxiety on the contestants part.

480b3218.jpg

480b3219.jpg

480b3221.jpg

480b3222.jpg

480b3223.jpg

480b3224.jpg

480b3225.jpg

480b3226.jpg

480b3227.jpg

480b3228.jpg

480b3229.jpg

:lol:

Yes, this IS a funny series, all right!
So did the girl in the black t-shirt win the gum-bubble-blowing-contest in the end, or did the nearest girl make it?
The expression displayed on the face of the girl on the very left are so lovely to look at. There is everything between effort, envy, excitement and admiration. Too cool! :D
Was it really much cooler up there, how cool is "cool" by your standards (our temps don't even reach the 70s right now)?

Yes, the girl in the black won. Her bubble got a little bigger before it popped. I liked the expressions on the left-most girl's face- they made the contest for me.

Cool is; it was 101 at about 3,500 feet elevation when I left the house. It was 85, 30 minutes later, 2,500 feet higher in elevation. I stayed up there 2 hours. When I came home it was 95 (4pm).

Comfortable, to me, is about 60. I have a thyroid condition which makes things awkward above 80 and nearly unbearable above 100. During the late summer I sleep through the day and work through the night. Strange I live in the desert?- It's dry though. Humidity is a bigger problem. If June was any indication, we'll have days of well over 110 from about half way through July to nearly half way through September. We have AC but don't use it unless someone comes to visit.

Should I ever come, please switch it on, everything in the 90s (and mostly so above :shock: ) would possibly just KILL me! Whoa! Sounds like you could bake a cake in your garden alone! (OK, not QUITE, but....)

And yes, I am not surprised to hear that the expressions on the face of the girl dressed in light blue and pink made the competition for your :D. Her face speaks the proverbial volumes! :D

Should I ever come, please switch it on, everything in the 90s (and mostly so above :shock: ) would possibly just KILL me! Whoa! Sounds like you could bake a cake in your garden alone! (OK, not QUITE, but....)

We're thinking about building a little faux-fireplace to mount the AC unit in, so we can sit huddled around it cooling off our hands.

104 when I left, 85 there, and 108 when I returned.

I'm considering trying to bake a chicken by wrapping in in foil and just laying it in the driveway. Might be interesting- and probably a good idea to have a backup plan for dinner that night.

And yes, I am not surprised to hear that the expressions on the face of the girl dressed in light blue and pink made the competition for your :D. Her face speaks the proverbial volumes! :D

I went back up there today to shoot the second day of the celebration. I met the girl's parents and they don't have a problem with me using the shots as a feature on my web site. They were disappointed that I wasn't there to shoot her winning the pie-eating contest.

Being somewhere between ape and missing link in my social skills, I only introduced myself to them by my first name. I was very pleased that they filled in my second name. The thing about working in a town of about 3,000 for 12 years is that most people there either know me by name and haven't met me, or have met me and don't know my name. There are more than I thought that some remember me by name, on sight (which I'll mention in the thread I'll put up later). Today was a total contrast to yesterday (which I describe in the Village Party thread).

Most reactions

New Topics

Back