The customer is always right!

Soocom1 said:
This one actually happened to my wife how worked for a certain on line provider that will not be named, but who's name starts with an A.

All of my stories come from when i did tech support for that same company while in school. The thing with that company back then, was many of our customers had never seen a computer before, much less used one. They thought all it was for was connecting to the internet with their "high speed" 14.4 modem...

This first was from a buddy of mine.

Tech: "Please close all open windows and restart your computer"
Caller: "um, okay...." [he then sets the phone down, and proceeds to shut the actual windows/blinds in the room]

Me: Thanks for calling A------, how can I help you?
Caller: I just set this computer up and I can't get on A-----!
Me: Are you getting an error message?
Caller: No, just a blank screen.
Me: Um, okay, what happens when you click on the A----- icon?
Caller: What icon?
Me: Can you describe the screen you are looking at?
Caller: I told you, it's blank.
Me: [trying very hard not to sound like a smartass] Is the computer turned on?
Caller: What do you mean, "turned on"?
In the process of making sure his computer was plugged into the wall and all his peripherals were attached properly, he proceeeds to tell me the power has been knocked out at his house and he doesn't even have electricity right now. :shock:

Me: Thanks for calling A----, how can I help you?
Caller: I just got this new computer, and I can't get on A------.
Me: Can you double click on the A---- icon for me and let me know what happens?
Caller: [Looong Pause] nothing is happening, a gray box keeps popping up.
Me: ??? are you using the left mouse button to double click?
Caller: Yes, this mouse-thingy is really hard to control.
Me: What do you mean?
Caller: When i move left, it moves the arrow right, and when I move it down, the arrow moves up...
Me: ????? Sounds like you need to contact the manufacturer and have them fix your mouse software.
Caller: Can you please just help me, I really want to get on A----!
Me: [After 10 minutes of trying to figure out why her mouse was moving backwards.... i tentatively ask her the following question...] Ma'am, is the cord coming out of the top or bottom of your mouse?
Caller: Where SHOULD it be coming out of?
Me: the top.
Caller: [Looooooooooooonnnnnngg Pause] okay, it's working now. :shock: :er:

Me: 911 Center
Caller: I'm lost
Me: OK, do you need police, fire or ambulance?
Caller: I bought tickets to HRC's speech and we can't find the building.
Me: OK, and how is it that I can assist you
Caller: Tell me where she is speaking.
Me: I have no idea
Caller: How can you have no idea, she is a US Senator
Me: That is correct and a former first lady, the Secret Service handles her details not the local police
Caller: I still need to know how to get there
Me: I sugguest you look at the invitation to find the location
Caller: I don't have the invitation
Me: You didn't bring the invitation with you?
Caller: No
Me: Well there is not much I can do for you.
Caller: Well what am I supposed to do?
Me: I suggest you get the invitation and perhaps next time get a map and/or directions to where you are going before you leave.
Caller: ***hole, click.

Best part is we had no idea she was comming. It's amazing people have no common sence anymore.

It's amazing people have no common sense anymore!

I'm not a 911 dispatcher, I'm on the other end. One of the guys you like to pull out of bed at 2am to send out to see people or more PC, customers who have no common sense. I couldn't agree with you more. What ever happened to common sense?

By the way, I find the customer is wrong most of the time. At least in my job field.

Several years ago (20) while working on BT (British Telecom for those not from the UK) I worked on International Telex and Data and about 10 minutes befor our shift change a lady rang in complaing she could not get a telex cal through to Japan. She was very irate and short tempered. A fellow colleague of mine about three positions down from my desk was listening in and we put the lady on hold and we discussed what we could do.
I went back to the lady and told her I was contacting the International engineers in the Middle east and India to try and get the call through.
My colleague came on the line from his position and with his head in a waste paper basket started to tell me he was testing the circuits and all was ok from London to delhi but there was Sun- Spot activity over the Indian ocean and it was causing problems onwards to Japan.
Was she impressed - so much so she wrote in to our boss a few days later to comend the work we did on her behalf. Needless to say we all denied being that wonderful engineer who had forund the problem over the Indian Ocean. :lol:

lol

It's about that sun-spot-peak time again isn't it ('81/'82, '94..'06).
I used to use a telex at work about the time you mention.
You could compose it first then send ...or 'chat' real time.

Awesome!

kristyiclaremore said:
I work for a Gas Station and I was outside changing the trash, this lady (over 30 under 40yrs old) yells at me to come over there I get there and she tells me the gas nozzle wont fit in here tank. I look at it and she is trying to put the diesel nozzle in her car. I told her that was the diesel and she said oh and asked me which pump was regular unleaded and I pointed at the nozzle next to the diesel and said they all have diesel and regular you use the red one for the regular and the green one for diesel.

Also one day I had a young lady come in to prepay for gas, She wanted $20 on pump 2 then I preset it for here and she went outside to pump gas. She then came back in and ask me how to use the pump. I had to completely explain in child-like terms how to pump gas into her car. Then about two weeks or more later the same girl came in and asked me how come the diesel sign on her pump kept flashing and why she couldn’t turn the regular on. I went out there and she had the diesel nozzle in here car.
This girl makes me so mad because she is about 19 maybe a little older and doesn’t know how to fill her brand new car up with gas. Why does she even have a car? I wonder if she knows red means stop. I wonder if her parents ever made her do anything.

i worked at a station for 6 years, i saw that diesl thing atleast once a month

Most reactions

Back