The D200 got soaked by a wave.

Hmm... Does it still turn on and function? Or have you even dared to try yet? I have seem lots of electronics come back to life after drying. But salt water could be another issue. I cant remember what the chemical mix is that we use to clean circuit boards at work, but I'll check tomorrow. Its the only thing that can clean beer and soda out of amps and mixers. I'm guessing that probably not much water got in the camera, but where it did, is probably around the buttons and controls, might be worth it to disassemble it a bit and clean the contacts.

Good luck, Ill check on that cleaner.

Letting it dry and then giving it a try has been my motto.

My D90 took a few good blasts on the boat earlier this month. Just keeping the power off and letting it dry worked just fine.

I dropped my D100 in a river once. (NOT a water tight camera)

I managed to pull it out fast enough to save it, but it was acting a bit wonky for a bit. I popped out the battery immediately, sucked (yes, literally) all the obvious water out of it, dried every bit of water I could find, and held it out the window for a while as we drove home.

Turned it on the next day and all seemed fine. It has a couple minor issues now, but the D100 is TOTALLY not watertight, whereas the D200 has some capabilities there.

I'd be a little worried about the salt since it's conductive, but hopefully...

Good luck to you on it.

And where are these sample images for some C&C? You know, just so that you can get some opinions for us all as to the quality of the sensor after it was hit with the water.

(J/K ... ;) )

D200 is weather sealed all over. If there was damaged you see it around the lens mounting with a non weather sealed lens.

Monitor it for rust in the mirror compartment. Also watch your lens for developing rust.

Mine has been hit with a wave and is just fine :)

I've dropped my D700i na river once and wiped it off with my hand and shirt it was fine. I'd expect your D200 to be pee-chee. It's sealed!

Honestly, if it's working now, i wouldn't worry at all about it. If damage was done, you would have seen it by now.

You could try sticking it in a bowl of rice, worked for my cell phone that went through the wash.

Getting hit with a wave is nothing much. What is of a little more concern is salt water and the bigger killer is sand.

All you could do is wipe it down and as Garbz mentioned, watch for surface rust inside the camera.

If you are really concerned, send it in to Nikon for a complete cleaning and strongly mention that it fell into salt water and that you want a complete cleaning inside and out.

Obviously not the same as a camera but I went waist deep into the ocean with a cell phone in my cargo pocket once. It vibrated while off for a while. After it dried it worked fine. What finally killed it was sitting in a puddle after losing it off my belt for eight hours.

Gotta think if it was just a splash it should be OK.

Rule 1 with anything electronic that gets dunked is REMOVE the battery immediatly, replace battery only when sure its clean and completly dry.

Go to liquor store and buy everclear. pure alchohal put it in a spray bottle and clean off the salt residue, let it dry overnight with a fan blowing on it.
Now its ready to have battery replaced and do the smoke check.

Dont cheep out and use denatured as you dont know what it was denatured with.

Thanks for the replies gang! Day 2 and the ol' girl is still going strong. The alcohol plan sounds like a good idea, but I have not seen any salt residue. Nor have I heard or seen any sand. What is a smoke test?

Love & Bass

And where are these sample images for some C&C? You know, just so that you can get some opinions for us all as to the quality of the sensor after it was hit with the water.

(J/K ... ;) )

We liked this one. I may post others from the shoot in the pro gallery.

Love & Bass

20090831dsc00301.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies gang! Day 2 and the ol' girl is still going strong. The alcohol plan sounds like a good idea, but I have not seen any salt residue. Nor have I heard or seen any sand. What is a smoke test?

Love & Bass

LOL ~ Smoke test is when you put power to it and if no smoke comes out, passed test.

After doing solder work on a board a good tech will clean it with alchohal to remove residue and rosin that will cause premature failure.

If a board had salt residue on it. The salt is very conductive and will short things out.

I am sure the wx sealing saved your camera. This is why I shoot with a sealed D1 . I am often in the salt spray after those maritime pix.

Cheers Dan

Most reactions

Back