The darkness

poof

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
This image really captures Memphis for me. Unfortunately it's an "accidental" shot and very underexposed. I messed with it for a while in Gimp and came up with the first edit. I then opened the original in Light room and in way less time came up with the second edit. The crops are a bit different. Other than that, what do y'all think?

original

original.jpg

edit 1

1.jpg

edit 2

2.jpg

The 2nd edit is the best, based upon the more centered person's sleeve standing out against the darkened street where in the 1st edit, it blended in together greatly to leave the arm without definition. Plus look at the difference of the "M" in the neon sign.

The shot still shows "motion" well, but the slightly out of focus lights do look better in B&W me thinks.

When I first started to read the you post and saw the colored pic I thought oh boy ...not a very good pic.Then I scrolled down and saw your edits and loved the pic.I like the second one the best. I really enjoy B&W photography over color.For me its much more moody,can tell a better stoy if that makes any sense,and leave more to the imagination.I actually found myself starting at it for a few minutes.My only concern is the blurry lights which can get very distracting if this image was to be blown up say to a 20 by 30 or something.
Other than that I love this image,keep up the great work.

Thanks for the tips guys. This was one of my first attempts at processing with Lightroom. After spending some time with the program, I decided to come back to this one and take a more gentle approach:

bestyet.jpg

This edit was mostly a small exposure bump combined with lots of exposure brushing.
Any better?

your last edit is great. I wouldnt change a thing about it. There's not terribly much more you can do anyway with that exposure. Keep it up! :]

You are going the wrong way. The first edit is better than the second. Give it a smidge of fill light and reduce the contrast, increase the exposure a smidge.
Adjust contrast to taste.
Reducing your black level and contrast will bring back your shadows, be careful not go so far that it looks washed out.

You are going the wrong way. The first edit is better than the second. Give it a smidge of fill light and reduce the contrast, increase the exposure a smidge.
Adjust contrast to taste.
Reducing your black level and contrast will bring back your shadows, be careful not go so far that it looks washed out.

are you sure? may i know the reason?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back