The DEATH of the Consumer Camera?

I actually tried, but I couldn't get past the 0:22 mark. So many miss-truths spoken in such a short amount of time.

Ok, for those of us who either don't have sound at work on our PC or really don't want to sit through a long boring video maybe you could summarize the viewpoint and tell us why it's interesting?
A dumb moron says dumb moronic things.

Now that's what I call a synopsis.. lol

All I know is that over the past few years I've seen the decline in SLR and bridge cameras at theme parks, steadily replaced with first phones and now GoPros/phones/tablets. Lots of GoPros the past two years though.
Was in Orlando last year for a week. There were numerous people carrying DSLR's, mirrorless, and P&S of all varieties at both Disney and Universal. They easily outnumbered the Gopro's. The phone people were generally did not seem to be concerned with the quality of their photos as much as just capturing their kiddies. Heard several people complain that their phones wouldn't get the shots they wanted in several of the darker rides etc.

I think we are waiting for a breakthrough on the phone camera front to completely finish off consumer point and shoots. There are some noises from LG and HTC. I don't really count the Blad co-opeation with Moto or the DxO camera as part of the same element as both are really doing in a small way what the Sony QX series was doing.

As well as the iPhone 6s, I have the Panasonic CM1. It has the same 1 inch 20MP sensor as in the RX100. It does RAW and full manual with apertures from f/2.8 fully open and f/11 fully stopped down. The lens is a Leica branded 28mm equivalent lens and is decently sharp. The thing that holds it back is the display. It's pretty awful to use in direct sunlight and pretty low resolution. If this was merged with the iPhone, then I would say that it would be a consumer camera killer and possibly a threat to the enthusiast fixed lens market too.

The results are already pretty decent - two of my dog yesterday would be better than from some consumer cameras already:

Caesar in evening light by singingsnapper, on Flickr

Caesar in the evening garden by singingsnapper, on Flickr

These are both in-phone jpg files processed in-phone on snapseed. I have the RAW files also as I save RAW+Fine on the 128GB microSD card in the phone...

we need a P&S/DSLR that catches fire like those cell phones !!
that will kill their sales for good.

your shot at 1:1

upload_2016-9-12_15-13-6.png

one of mine:

upload_2016-9-12_15-14-36.png

Well if you will go pixel peeping. I tend not to, just as my aim isn't to get paint on my nose when I visit the National Gallery. Which camera is you from?

Here is the same image processed from the Raw file.

caesar in garden in evening from raw by singingsnapper, on Flickr

And another from the same trip up the garden with my dog who sees anything remotely photographic as a sign of a walk or a run

Caesar out in Garden in evening by singingsnapper, on Flickr

As an aside, is it me, or is there more image degradation on flickr than before. These shots are definitely shaper from inside PS

Last edited:
It's just a Samsung phone that it I rubber-banded to the back of my camera like your Panasonic... :p

It's just a Samsung phone that it I rubber-banded to the back of my camera like your Panasonic... :p

It is a proper phone. It's weakness is the lower resolution screen.

It is a proper phone. It's weakness is the lower resolution screen.

That thing is a proper camera that just happens to have an interface running KitKat, so it has a phone app.

I was out in downtown San Antonio yesterday and saw the most horrific sight. A consumer Nikon camera ran out into the middle of the street stopping traffic. It proceeded to pull out a can of gasoline and douse itself liberally. Right before sticking a match it cursed Tony Northrup and smarphones before setting itself on fire. All the smartphones stood around laughing, pointing and taking pictures.

Now if you believe that story I will sell you the Golden Gate Bridge at a real good price.

Now if you believe that story I will sell you the Golden Gate Bridge at a real good price.

Depends.. whats the shutter count on this bridge of yours?
100. It was only used by a little old lady on Sundays to take a picture of her cat. The cat moved away because it felt that smartphones were good enough for everyone, including sports, portrait and wedding photographers.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back