The Depression

jdgreen92086

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
These are some pictures in January after I bought my camera in December. I was looking through old pictures and decided I liked these and wanted to do some post-process work. While looking through them I noticed the very first image, The Depression 1, does indeed look very much like the pictures we've all seen of the Great Depression in 1929(I think that's right). If you're wondering that's where I came up with the name.

These were taken with a fully stock Canon 400D with manual settings and a tripod. Processed in 2 Adobe programs, Lightroom and Photoshop CS2.

I plan on returning to this house with my new lens when conditions are right.

Critique as harshly and as much as you'd like!

Note: Even though the blow outs weren't planned, I think they add a nice sense of isolation to photograph #3 and #5.

Thanks!

The Depression 1
TheDepression1.jpg

The Depression 2
TheDepression2.jpg

The Depression 3
TheDepression3.jpg

The Depression 4
TheDepression4.jpg

The Depression 5
The-Depression5.jpg

Ha! MelodySoul, that was my IMMEDIATE thought when I looked through these! And then I arrived at your reply and you said EXACTLY that! :D Could that mean that maybe Photo 4 is the best of the series, after all?

This is one of those rare cases where blown highlights don't seem to detract from the image. That said, it would be interesting to do the ones with outside views as HDRs incorporating a perfectly exposed interior with a perfectly exposed exterior.
I agree that #4 is the best of the lot, but I think it needs a minor perspective correction. Something not quite right about it.
Looking forward to seeing more of this.

Thanks for the comments. I like #4 a lot, but my favorite is #3. I agree the perspective is tilted slightly. I forgot to check the perspective so I think I'll go back and correct them. May repost #4 for you!

This is one of those rare cases where blown highlights don't seem to detract from the image. That said, it would be interesting to do the ones with outside views as HDRs incorporating a perfectly exposed interior with a perfectly exposed exterior.
I agree that #4 is the best of the lot, but I think it needs a minor perspective correction. Something not quite right about it.
Looking forward to seeing more of this.

Agreed about the highlights. It would be a very interesting composite.

This is an impressive series, and I agree that number four is the best.

These are definitely the best photographs I've taken and the positive feedback is a first! lol

All joking aside, thanks for commenting!

I like both 4 and 5 but for some reason 5 resonated with me more. I didn't even notice the open door in 4 until it totally jumped out at me in 5. Very weird.

Really cool shot. I always love decay photos.

EDIT: On second look, I think its the addition of the stark windows that made 5 my favorite.

4 is a great shot, but a bit depressing for me. I *LOVE* #1, the sepia tone really works well on that one. Great work!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back