The difference an hour makes...

jlykins

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.jlykinsphotos.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I had a portrait session this past weekend here in Cincinnati. I got there about an hour and a half early so that I could scout some good locations for the shots. Anyway the first two pictures are of my wife who went along so I could take some test shots. Look at the difference between the shots of my wife and the rest of the shots. It just goes to show how important early morning light is...(I tried to get the customer to come earlier but she wouldn't do it)

DSC_9195copy.jpg

DSC_9199copy.jpg

DSC_9243copy.jpg

DSC_9235copy.jpg

DSC_9249copy.jpg

DSC_9257bw.jpg

DSC_9277copy.jpg

DSC_9218-2.jpg

DSC_9223copy.jpg

I think people come here to get real criticism (at least I know I do) ..so I'm going to try my best to give it.

Forget the harsh light (which you know about) - the posing is all very unnatural and stiff.... I think that the splash of water in the background does not fit the pictures at all. There's a single splash coming out of nowhere is not proportioned.

In #8 the WB is very, very off (something I struggle with as well.)

Good luck with your next shoot.

I think photos 1-5 could all be improved by a much tighter crop. I find the rock wall too distracting and it cuts them off at the knees. I like #6 and 7 the best. Looks like this location could be really nice in the afternoon with some backlight. Then you wouldn't have squinty eyes, but you would have to watch for flare.

I didn't like the pose in number two i think. Also, in several of the shots your subjects are squinting. I don't like the squint. Squint is bad. Not much you can do about the sun though. I've tried to speed it up before with no luck

Most reactions

Back