The Difference Between a n00b hack and a Pro:

Discussion in 'Photographic Discussions' started by LuckySo-n-So, Nov 10, 2009.

1. LuckySo-n-So

LuckySo-n-So TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    scroll down...

Last edited: Nov 11, 2009
  2. KmH

KmH Helping photographers learn to fish Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    The difference is the amount of planning and the amount of detail, compositional and technical, a pro considers and controls before each shutter release.

3. LuckySo-n-So

LuckySo-n-So TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I posted almost identical photos (one taken by me and one taken by a Sports Illustrated pro) at the LSU/Alabama football game. I forgot I couldn't link other people's photos. Just kind of ruined the flow of the post. I have tried to delete this thread, but don't know how. Thought admins would help me out. but oh well.

4. KmH

KmH Helping photographers learn to fish Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    Ya, it's kind of hard to plan a shot when it's sports. :lol::thumbup::blushing:

5. Eco

Eco TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Could you link to the site that the photo is on? (so the picture does not show up in the thread)

6. LuckySo-n-So

LuckySo-n-So TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
  7. musicaleCA

musicaleCA TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Yes, you can always just link to the image. It's displaying the image in the post that's not so cool.

You're telling me! Anyone who's run up and down a soccer field with a camera body or two and some heavy lenses will tell you so. I'm still a little sore from the last game I covered. :lmao: (That said, in the case of sports, the difference between an experienced professional and a beginner has a lot to do with knowing how to expose in such difficult conditions—say dark, poorly lit fields, and knowing where it's useless to shoot because of it—and when to shoot. I admit, there's a bit of spray and pray involved in my sports shooting, but that's more just shooting at high-speed and then picking the best frame of what I wanted to capture.)

8. usayit

usayit No longer a newbie, moving up!

North New Jersey, United States of America
    Photos OK to edit
    The difference I see is the "decisive moment"...

9. battletone

battletone TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    The professional photo is in focus (or at least a lot clearer), is completely frozen (so a lot clearer), and since the subject is the most import part (right?)...there was a face-mask penalty captured.

10. LuckySo-n-So

LuckySo-n-So TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Which was nullified because of a procedure penalty on the offense(so the play was "void" and the facemask "never happened." LSU would have had the ball at about the 6 yard line, but ended up punting.

:banghead::banghead::banghead:

11. benhasajeep

benhasajeep TPF Noob!

When I shot sports for the paper about twice a year we had a review where others would come in and critique our work. Our photo editor would pick the best photo's from different subjects. And other editors would review them and give suggestions.

I got a kick one day we had one of these reviews. I just happened to be in the right place and the right time to take a picture of a player layed flat out diving into the end zone. I was using my 300 f/2.8 but the player still only filled about 1/3 of the frame. Well the shot was printed and my editor had that pic out as an example of one of the best. Well the shot they printed was was the actual shot, no cropping. The bad part was the top of the frame showed a bunch of empty seats / sparce fans.

The visiting editors immediately grabed my shot and asked who took it. I said I did. They immediately said great shot but your crop is horrable. Should have been much tighter. I replied that is a full frame and its not cropped. They then said, why didn't you crop it. I replied, I didn't print it. They immediately turned to my photo editor and gave him the third degree for nearly ruining a great shot. :lol:

Sometimes seeing others crop will give you ideas, but in this case the croping was out of my control. We were never asked about crops. Didn't know if you had a shot or two in the paper until after you saw it out the next day.

12. Garbz

Garbz No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    This is perfectly right, and the correct terminology too. Ultimately it doesn't matter if the penalty goes through or not. The photo you took is far less exciting because it just looks like someone running with a ball. The sports illustrated picture captures someone who looks like they are about to have their head ripped off.

Even if you captures 1/4 of a second later, the SI picture puts the viewer right in the middle of the scuffle. Where as your picture makes the viewer look on from the sidelines. It's all about involving the viewer in the moment.

There's not much you can do about this from the grandstand. There's a reason all the pros line up on ground level with lenses that completely fill the frame with the subject.