The difference between Auto WB and Cutom WB

Fedaykin

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
hebercollphotography.wordpress.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
In this case under tungsten lighting at night, indoors.

Since my XS's WB presets weren't giving a good result for shooting in these conditions(my house) I decided to try out Cutom White Balance. As I don't have an 18% Grey or White card, I had to use house hold paper.

These are my results, ordered as AUTO WB-white reference-Custom WB:

In my kitchen under one tungsten light with AUTO WB

4585407677_d998488490_b.jpg

Shot of a white napkin under same lighting in same spot
4585407673_434ec959a8_o.jpg

Same pills on same spot and lighting now using Custom WB
4585407667_3d16e64a85_o.jpg

Now I knew I'd get a much better result by setting a Custom WB. But I was still stunned at the difference in tonal range, contrast, etc.

Now I really want one of those little Grey cards. Do you guys have any recommendations? How many of you use Custom WB?

P.S. I can provide another example under similar lighting with a different subject with different reference shot. Thanks for looking.

Last edited:
Very good demonstration of custom WB. I use it quite often since I've *discovered* the feature. I too, use white paper, white card since I don't have the 18% gray card.

Very good demonstration of custom WB. I use it quite often since I've *discovered* the feature. I too, use white paper, white card since I don't have the 18% gray card.

Thanks for the feedback. I was also surprised I did it right the first time.

I'd love to hear others experiences with Custom WB.

I was screwing around with the WB on my D40 earlier. Honestly, I couldn't get better results than the Auto WB, and I tried hard. :/

I dunno', it had a list of things like "Direct sunlight" "Ultraviolet" etc, and then let me change each one from -3 to +3, I had to have it on one of them.

shoot in raw and you can adjust wb during the editing process

shoot in raw and you can adjust wb during the editing process

I know that, but personally I'd rather spend an extra minute getting it in camera for a scene I'm shooting than have to rely on editing. Actually I'd like to do as little editing as possible. You can also just take the reference picture and use that to do the WB in editing, but why not just use it in the 'field' anyway?

But this is just me. I know for a lot of types of photography, specifically professional work, you don't always have the time to do it while working. in that case yes you can just do it in PP.

Is fixing it in editing without a proper reference as accurate as doing so in camera though?

Is fixing it in editing without a proper reference as accurate as doing so in camera though?

personally, my concern regarding wb is to create a more appealing photo than to accurately portray the scene. it is often the case, however, that the most accurate wb makes for the most appealing photo. not so bad, right?

you can't lose by adjusting the wb during editing process.

personally, my concern regarding wb is to create a more appealing photo than to accurately portray the scene. it is often the case, however, that the most accurate wb makes for the most appealing photo. not so bad, right?

you can't lose by adjusting the wb during editing process.

I agree. What I meant was that I prefer to take as best a picture I can so as to require the least editing to make it perfect, not that I'd fore go editing completely; if that's what you thought I meant.

I use custom WB for every photo I take, because auto or presettings just don't cut it.

How many of you use Custom WB?

I nearly used it yesterday lol
I will be using it after seeing this!

Question: if you shoot in raw - is there any real point in doing it when you can just do it in post processing? will it result in better images?

Question: if you shoot in raw - is there any real point in doing it when you can just do it in post processing? will it result in better images?
Neither way will result in a 'better image'. There's no advantage to setting it up in camera, when shooting RAW, than doing it in post except for the time-saving factor (not having to mess with it in post).

I shoot RAW all the time, so I generally keep my camera on Auto WB and adjust it in post. When shooting in RAW, I have to edit (even if it's minimal and basic) every shot, so it's not a big deal for me to also adjust WB.

I mostly use auto white balance, shoot raw, then adjust in processing later. One advantage of using auto WB is when you do some processing later you'll have the WB that the camera thinks was correct. Sometimes its useful and sometimes not. If you don't use auto WB you'll never know what the camera would've chosen. Of course this only works when shooting RAW.

The other reason I like to adjust WB in processing later is because in the field on the camera's tiny LCD screen in the sun I can't really judge the image too well. Sometimes it's just too difficult to see. It's easier to judge tones, colors and details on a good monitor under controlled indoor lighting.

Most reactions

Back