The Digital Guy Goes Back to Film

Digital Matt said:
Agreed Terri. Everywhere I go, this debate pops up. What is it about me? :p

Good Luck JEazy
It's not you, Matt, I promise. Although it might be fun to blame you next time, can we?? :lol:

Hair bear, TPF has seen so many of these discussions/debates we've even added a rule against them. No one wants to feel like they have to justify their medium of choice for photography, yet seldom do these discussions go anywhere except on the defensive. ;)

You can blame me, I don't mind. Since I love film and digital, I can start fights for both sides of the debate, making me a great scapegoat. :p

I didn't see it as a fight but I do take your point terri.

As I said with that many posts you will have seen it all and then some!

terri said:
Why this has to turn into another tiresome film v. digital debate is beyond me.

I didn't even see it happening! I was immersed in the concept of proper exposure (in ANY medium) and how to achieve it. Geezzzzzz.... must be the "Matt factor."

Jeazy, try calling Hanson's in Austin. He might be able to tell you where to go. He's been in the business longer than I've been alive.

lots of people have been going back to film in japan as well now... it has to be saying something

The truth is the mediums are different not saying it, isnt going to make it go away or do anything to help or hurt either.

You have your rules no matter how much I disagree I try to avoid breaking them. Avoiding the discussion, as long as it stays a discussion, doesn't help either. Sorry my 2cents worth less and less the longer i stay here lol.

ps... ive been asked to leave worse forums... lol...

Wow haha sorry guys I didn't realize this was going to turn into a film vs. digital debate. Anyways, the N90s is schedualed to arrive tommorow, I have some print film, black and white process film, and I'm still looking for slide film. I'm also looking for a film scanner that can scan all three types of film, any suggestions?

Well for now I'll just be shooting digital and 35mm but I eventually want to move to medium format as well, whenever I can find a cheap camera.

I have a pacific roll scanner for 35mm and then i went back to MF so it is pretty much sitting around until I shoot something in 35... I do my scans of mf on a flat bed but it isnt as good as a dedicated scanner. That said if I were in your possition I would get a cheap dedicated 35 scanner on ebay until I was sure I wanted to stay with the mixed media. the I would put it back on ebay and buy a dedicated mf and 35 scanner. It's what I would do myself.

REally good film scanners are pricey and I wouldn't want to buy a really good 35 just to find out that I wished I had bought a combo later....

And good luck with the new endeavor

Thanks alot mysteryscribe I think I might just look around on ebay for a 35mm scanner and just wait for a MF scanner till I actually save some money and get a MF camera.

Oooo one more question, can a 35mm scanner scan slide negatives too? And b+w negs like TMax400 and the likes?

JEazy said:
Oooo one more question, can a 35mm scanner scan slide negatives too? And b+w negs like TMax400 and the likes?

That's exactly what they are for. They don't scan prints, just negs.

Do you think this is a good move to go back to film and learn how to properly expose a photo or would it be the same as using my digital to learn...

Just learn how to expose a photo properly. It doesn't matter what camera you use as long as it's functioning correctly and has a meter. The basics of exposure have nothing to do with neg film, or slide film, or RAW, or JPEG, or collodian plates, or exposing on to paper, etc... You may need to fine tune for the particular media you choose to use, but you should be able to learn exposure with any of them.

Most reactions

Back