the digital nuisance

Discussion in 'Photographic Discussions' started by ksmattfish, Dec 28, 2008.

1. ksmattfish

ksmattfish Now 100% DC - not as cool as I once was, but still

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    How often have you heard/read something like this...

Okay, now replace "digital camera" (and a few other concepts) in the above with "hand camera", and you have this from an article written in 1897 by Alfred Stieglitz.

In the article Stieglitz explains that while he was initially reluctant to adopt the new technology he realized that he'd made some of his very best work using a hand camera, that it was well suited for serious work, and was changing photography for the better.

2. Arch

Arch Damn You! Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    very interesting point, well spotted :thumbup:.... that would certainly give any uptight elitist photographers something to think about.

3. Joves

Joves No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I agree! Now they can see they fit in with the old stodgy bastiches of the past.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2008
  4. JerryPH

JerryPH No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    As mentioned, we can see this phenomenon in virtually any industry, hobby or whatever.

I've even seen this basic same argument over using true 2"X4" lumber in houses instead of the now generic 1-1/2" X 3".

It's everywhere... lol.

5. Garbz

Garbz No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Any tool in the hands of the inexperienced is a recipe for disaster. Our uni spends a lot of money on licences for circuit board routing software. I saw about 4 teams in a class I tutor produce circuit boards which were electrically complete but so poorly laid out that the final product didn't work because noise was coupled between sensitive parts of the circuit.
    The same software in the hands of one of our faculty produced a microwave receiver with simply incredible performance.

So basically no the DSLRs aren't evil. But on the same time they may look evil because too many average joes have them and not enough pros do. Thus the overall output that is visible ala flickr is littered with utter crap.

6. ksmattfish

ksmattfish Now 100% DC - not as cool as I once was, but still

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Sturgeon's Law says 90% of everything is crap even from the pros. :) When I look through photography books and magazines from the 50s, 60s, and 70s, and compare it to what I can easily find on Flickr there is no doubt in my mind that the bar has been raised significantly. Yes, most of the photos created are snapshots, just lousy, whatever..., but there are a lot of amateurs doing stuff that's really interesting, and to my eye much more creative and sophisticated (particularly in the lighting) than many of the pros of the past. I think the advantage of instant feedback for helping learning is way underrated. Sure there are still plenty of folks who just shoot, and shoot, and shoot, and never really catch on, but for those who make the effort to apply themselves I think they are quickly seeing and learning to fix their mistakes.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2008
  7. craig

craig TPF Noob!

Excellent point Matt! Not sure why this concept is so hard to grasp for some. Nostalgia and old school ways will always be popular. Which is fine. Everyone takes their own personal photo journey.

Love & Bass

8. saycheese76

saycheese76 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Fantastic find on that quote. I lol'd .