The DogFather.

K_Pugh

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
DSC_2076-r.jpg

DSC_2078-r.jpg

DSC_2079-r.jpg

sorry just messing, he wasn't playing along long enough to play with lighting more.. and i ain't messing with the DogFather. :lol:

"your dead to me"

nice shots, Really nice portraits of your dogs! the eyes in the last one are perfect for it.

love the last one.

Thanks matt. I just wanted to step away from the typical pet photos and try something slightly different.. was hoping they'd turn out better than they did but what can you do, eh.

nice light.

i'm trying to get my dog to hold a strobe and bounce it off a wall to light herself. so far, she just takes it and runs. half-way there.

BWAhahahahahaaaa! Great title!

I like the second one the best, where there are some catchlights in the eyes (faintly visible). How amazing the Dogfather stayed still long enough for you to take these

HAHAHAH

I literally laughed out loud. Those are FANTASTIC. :lol:

thanks for the comments folks and i'm glad yous got a chuckle out of it.. not had time to post, was at london yesterday for a gig, just got back and put down a base for a garage after having no sleep.. tired to say the least.

Heh K_Pugh or anyone else listening... how, exactly, does one get this effect? I was dorking around with it the other night and I couldn't quite nail it. What kind of lighting setup is it? Or is it certain settings on exposure? Post processing? I iz confuzed! :)

Thanks!

I had the shutter speed set to 1/200th and my aperture about f11 i think, enough to eliminate all ambient light and keep enough of the dog in focus. Just one flash with a 12" snoot about 2 foot above the dog, slightly in front of his face and pointing at him. (i hand held the flash and just kept making small movements and snapping away until i got a decent 'pose'). Post processing was the basic RAW adjustments then the B&W conversion tool in Photoshop CS3 with a little play around with the filters.

Hope that helps... the main thing is the snoot on the flash.

Here's an untouched one from the original RAW if it helps to see what came out of the camera.

DSC_2078-orig-r.jpg

Last edited:
Ok, that is very helpful, but what the heck is a "snoot"? I thought that would be the dog's nose! ;)

Ah! Snoots are great, i can't stop using them!

here's the one i made:

thesnoot-r.jpg

easy, quick DIY job, make one out of cardboard or something and give it a try.. i'm sure different lengths will give different results.

:lol: Ok, that's bizarre!

Conceptually, what does this do?

It looks like you almost made it out of dixie cups or something? I think I have some dixie cups!!! I know what I'm doing tonight! :lol:

Most reactions

Back