The dogs @ the park round 2, C&C please!

Poena Canalis

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Okay... well I went out again this evening and this time I waited awhile instead of going around 1/2 in the afternoon I waited until around 6:45/7pm

I'll also enclose the photo information and I was shooting in "M" mode on the camera (Nikon D90).

I appreciate the feedback and I hope that i've at least improved slightly since my last post. I'm sure it's boring seeing a variety of the same photos again but I figure it makes it easier to compare.

Also, I can never have too many photos of my pups, so here goes! Their names are Dodger & Vega by the way.

newone-1.jpg

"The Artful Dodger and Vega"
f/13 1/200 sec. ISO-200 62mm

vegadodger3.jpg

f/13 1/200 sec. ISO-200 62mm

I know they are pretty similar. I had a hard time getting Dodger's eyes to show up (the brown/white dog) her eye color seems to blend in with her brown fur on her head. I'm not sure if a better flash would help or if I just had someone reflecting some light there to make her eyes stand out better.

In any case I had fun taking these.

I also do realize that I chopped off a leg here and there, my mistake although I was also just trying to get mostly the dogs and not so much of the background so I chopped off Vega's leg a bit. At least he's forgiving.

I think they are most definately an improvement over the first images.

The 2nd one is better. The first one is still a bit bright like your first thread, and it looks like the sun is shining on the brown dog from it's eyes-up.

Overall much better than your first thread though.

Thank you!

The area is a bit weird, it's a bunch of gardens right behind our art gallery with tons and tons of trees so as the sun is setting or even when it's overhead it shines through those trees sometimes creating a lot of shadows or bright sun in certain areas.

It was much easier to photograph later in the day though and I certainly don't mind avoiding the heat of the day and going out when it's cooler.

I'm glad there is improvement. I suppose there is hope for me yet.

Thank you!

The area is a bit weird, it's a bunch of gardens right behind our art gallery with tons and tons of trees so as the sun is setting or even when it's overhead it shines through those trees sometimes creating a lot of shadows or bright sun in certain areas.

It was much easier to photograph later in the day though and I certainly don't mind avoiding the heat of the day and going out when it's cooler.

I'm glad there is improvement. I suppose there is hope for me yet.

At least your models can't complain. :lol:

I like these shots. I see what they mean now about not shooting at certain times of the day. You're doing great. I haven't even tried to do anything manual on mine yet. I've only had my camera for about 2 weeks and I haven't really had a chance to get out and really work with lighting and focusing.

That is definitely true. I'm pretty sure kids would have been throwing things at me at this point and it would be well deserved.

They are water dogs so capturing them when they are somewhat clean is a lot of effort. It took treats just to keep them from wanting to wander off and throw themselves in one of the many ponds in the area.

At least i'm a dog groomer otherwise it would be impossible to keep them clean.

I like these shots. I see what they mean now about not shooting at certain times of the day. You're doing great. I haven't even tried to do anything manual on mine yet. I've only had my camera for about 2 weeks and I haven't really had a chance to get out and really work with lighting and focusing.

I posted some the other in the same location but it was around 1:30 in the afternoon in VERY bright sunlight. It made for some pretty harsh photos and I think I had much better luck this time of day.

All i've really shot in is manual mode so far. I like being able to adjust everything and I think it helps me understand how things work. When I first got the camera out of the box I used it in auto mode just because I was excited to take photos with my new camera but since then i really like using Manual mode. I haven't tried any of the other settings yet though... i'll get there!

Thank you for your comments!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back