The evil mods.....

Discussion in 'Off Topic Chat' started by bogleric, Dec 1, 2003.

1. bogleric

bogleric TPF Noob!

Ok, so the mods and admins on this site are cool. Actually human and everything, wow isn't that something.

I have had some crazy experiences on other sites with Mod, but would like to know what you worst mod story is.....

2. Chase

Chase I am now benign! Staff Member Supporting Member

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Aww shucks... :hug:

Seriously though...thanks for saying so.

I can't say I've seen anything too specific on other boards that I had a problem with, but there are definitely a lot of board where you feel like you are being watched and the mods seem to like picking on people.

Just to defend some of them a little, I think we are lucky here with the membership we have as well. So often on other boards I see personal attacks and other nonsense. We're lucky to have avoided most of that here so far! :D

3. Darfion

Darfion Soapbox guru...

Photos OK to edit
    Oh, he'll love you for saying that. You'll probably end up with a good title, unlike some of us :irked:

4. Chase

Chase I am now benign! Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    I think Darfion's title is about to change to "Has a chip on his shoulder" :LOL:

5. mrsid99

mrsid99 TPF Supporters Supporting Member

I think he meant "nearly human and everything"

6. Sharkbait

Sharkbait TPF Noob!

I am a mod on another board. Thankfully in my section of the board we haven't had any real troubles, but the 'off topic' section get some really...umm...interesting personalities. :shock: :wink:

7. manda

manda instigator of pottymouthedness

hehe

I was a member of a very large band website's forum where I had quite a few troubles with some of the mods. Power Hungry girls(and their pipsqueak admin) with pretend power who obviously need an ego boost by picking on others...nasty nasty stuff.
    I dont post there anymore because of said mods.

Ive been a mod on other boards also and had a few troubles with people who got their noses out of joint over the most trivial things. Those of you who haven't been a mod on a big forum...you'd be shocked at the ridiculously trivial things that people complain about. There are a lot of weird people on the internet :LOL:

Thankfully this site is a breeze because we have such a great bunch of people here :sillysmi:

8. bogleric

bogleric TPF Noob!

I must admit I am surprised that nobody really has any really bad stories to tell. I have been on other sites where if you didn't just say "excellent shot ... dude" you totally got ripped by the mods. Quite aggravating really.

hey Darfion.... at least you don't keep moving backwards with your title, the more I am on here the further back mine seems to drop. Just remember when a mod titles you for all to laugh at then they really like you.... :shock:

9. Darfion

Darfion Soapbox guru...

Photos OK to edit
    Yeah I'm well aware of that. It's all of a bit of a "leg-pull" and I'm pretty sure they know that. If I didn't like it on here I'd move on. :wink:

10. bogleric

bogleric TPF Noob!

Nice picture, not sucking up are we, they might give you a brown nose!! :shock:

11. TwistMyArm

TwistMyArm TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Thanks Bogleric,

I think we're pretty fortunate to have a great group of people here.

12. Jewel

Jewel TPF Noob!

I agree the moderators here are a step (or ten) above the average.

I've been on an email list with an... "interesting" list owner - there were a couple of long-running leg=pull (lets suck in the newbies and see if they bite) threads which he regularly attempted to squash (and he absolutely loathed anything in the slightest bit off-topic), one day the big cheese got all hissy about things and closed the list down. No notice apart from a temper-tantrum email from the owner, just gone. Another list member started a new list and sent all us regulars an invitation to join, which we did. Couple of hours later the original owner decided that he'd been a bit harsh, and reopened the list (with a whole heap of extra rules) and invited us all back. Very few actually did. Oddly enough the new list thrived, the old one just died, slowly. Another thing, many of the regular listers have now moved on in life, but we keep in contact like an extended family still.

Slighly different circumstances on another list - two regular posters got into a real bunfight, ended up with threats of legal action (and here in Oz that isn't something you do unless really, REALLY aggrieved). To protect himself and the other innocent parties the list owner shut it down. (Can't say I blame him, but it was a huge disappointment to all the regular contributors) Another lister reopened it with a slightly different name, and banned the two warring parties.

I suppose it also helps that most of the posters here seem to be generally friendly and helpful folk too. It's rare to read anything that seems harsh.

Cheers
    Jewel