The Face Behind Dumbo

Hooligan Dan

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
So, I was shooting a pretty mundane assignment for the newspaper today. A tour of local artists' galleries. I wasn't exactly trying very hard to shoot. Just getting good enough photos. But then I saw that Melvin Shaw was on the tour. He is the Disney artist behind movies like Dumbo, Beauty and the Beast, Lion King, The Fox and the Hound, Bambi, and countless others. He's also done a ton of western style paintings. Cowboys and indians type stuff. Anyway, we were just walking through his gallery and was talking away. I was bouncing the flash off the ceiling and getting okay results. But as we approached the door I saw a lot of light coming in and turned off the flash. And as soon as he got into the light coming in from the door it's as if he knew exactly what I was thing. He stopped, turned his head towards me for just a second, and I snapped off one photo before he moved on.

Anyway, I hope you guys like it. C&C always welcomed.

D300
ISO 400
1/60 at f/4.5

i like how the shadow is over the right-side of his face b/c it makes him seem misterious i like to use the same aproch
nice photo

That's an awesome shot, I can;t believe it's a 'candid'. Perfect!

The light is certainly interesting. And I guess that setting a mood is sometimes helpful. In this case it is just unflattering. Not sure that it is appropriate for such an accomplished artist. Can we see the other photos you shot of him.

Love & Bass

Most reactions

Back