The farm

nealjpage

multi format master in a film geek package
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So there's been a lot of pictures on here lately that focus on abandoned places, so I figured I'd throw mine into the ring, too. :mrgreen: These are shots of the original house on our family farm outside Northfield, Minnesota. It was built in the 1870s and is the place where my great grandfather was born. The house has been moved twice to make room for road construction: first in the early 1920s to make way for a country lane and second in the 1960s to make way for Interstate 35. The plan is to burn it down this spring, so I wanted to get a few shots of it before that happens. Comments?

I don't know. I usually love black and white photos, but these ones make it seem weird to me. I'd like to see them in color, but I don't know if you did the black and white on your camera, or afterwards. Anyways, the angles and subject matters are nice. Good job.

Abandoned places are always nice - they are just such cool subjects!
You make your own prints in your own darkroom, don't you?
What is it that made these come out so grey, so lacking in contrasts?
Especially the last one is very grey. Was it very underexposed and you ... what is it you do to "repair" underexposure then? Push or pull? Well, did you do that?

Thanks for the comments, Corinna. The film is processed only--no prints made. I scanned the negatives using my crappy flatbed scanner, which doesn't really do that great of a job. That might explain the lack of contrast. That last shot was taken from inside the house, upstairs in the attic, in the dark. Hopefully I'll have my enlarger up and running within the next few weeks. Maybe prints will look better.

I don't know. I usually love black and white photos, but these ones make it seem weird to me. I'd like to see them in color, but I don't know if you did the black and white on your camera, or afterwards. Anyways, the angles and subject matters are nice. Good job.

Black and white film. Tri-x, to be exact. As Corinna mentioned, the contrast is off a bit, which might be why they look funny to you. Thanks for the input, though.:D

Bump. Any other comments and/or critiques? I'd like to enlarge some of these as part of a series to give my grandparents for their anniversary.

Doesn't it make you sad to know that this place will be demolished by BURNING it all? (That sounds more "violent" than "dismantling" ... cannot anything be used again, the wood cannot be all "gone"!) I found that piece of information the most startling here, actually.

And hey, I hope you get your enlarger soon and can work on the prints so they show the place just like you had actually PLANNED to show it (I understand you did not plan to present it like THIS!).

Most reactions

Back