The fate of 35mm

Discussion in 'Beyond the Basics' started by jdubya, Feb 17, 2010.

1. jdubya

jdubya TPF Noob!

I've heard that 35mm film will not be processed in the near future. I still own a very nice Canon SLR, and was curious to know if I should convert it into a doorstop! Please educate me.

Thanks, Jeff

2. MGriff240

MGriff240 TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Well it's pretty much a dying artform...I know my high school photography class has stopped using the darkroom, which is sad because I was really looking forward to learning the film process. :x

3. KmH

KmH Helping photographers learn to fish Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    But the 135 format lives on in the digital world, and film is still used in medium and large format cameras.

4. ann

ann No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    and then my darkroom classes continue to grow including lots of teenage and college age students.

I don't think film will ever be king again, but it is not dead and in fact lots of people still use film, it is becoming an alternative process along with cyanotypes and vandyke brown etc.

5. skieur

skieur TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    True, but medium format has been "invaded" by digital and Canon, Nikon, and Sony are about to enter medium format to compete with Leica, Hasselblad, and the rest.

Red One Digital is now in large format and competing with the film cameras.

skieur

6. Battou

Battou No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Actually, this is likely a large part of why your darkroom classes are growing. Commercial processors don't care anymore because all they see are the profit margins in in that little statistic digital prints are bringing in more than one hour or even send out film processing. So Stores like rite-aid, Wal-Wart, Walgreens, CVS and whatnot are dropping the program. With them dropping the program the film shooters have to go somewhere..and right now, home is the closest place for processing, but they have to learn it somewhere. That is where you are reaping the reward I guess.

7. BKMOOD

BKMOOD TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Until they can find a means for reliable digital storage and archiving, film isn't going anywhere. Properly stored film can be stored for hundreds of years. Digital storage hasn't been tested for the long haul. Who knows if we'll even be reading JPEGs 100 years from now. According to Kokak, "the best digital storage media have a short life span even under optimum conditions." But we can always shine light through a negative. Film will never completely go away.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2010
  8. ann

ann No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    the young people have the options of digital and all have digital cameras, but love the hands on approach to the darkroom.

several high schools in town have very large traditional programs as well and these have been going on for years.

One of the best camera stores in town, still processes black and white film and keep very busy, and yes the cv's of the world don't , but there is an interest in black and white and people are busy making images not talking about equipment.

9. Early

Early TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    What concerns me about film is that no one will manufacture it if demand doesn't draw a reasonable profit.

10. Overread

Overread has a hat around here somewhere Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    I suspect long term film will be picked up by one or two companies which will keep the manufacture of films going on - chances are they will also have to handle processing as well since shops will no longer process the results.

It won't return to its days of being the dominant medium - infact those days are already lost to digital. Large and medium format might hold out a little while longer until their areas are opened to the commercial market more - at present the prices are prohibative for many to move to digital (even in the pro line of work) however as those prices lower and digital improves in its ability to meet the features of film (like dynamic range.) the film markets will lessen in those areas as well.

Also whilst a digital negative might be lost through time nothing stops one from printing off the results. Interestingly this never gets suggested when people discuss archiving their works when working in a digital medium.

11. gsgary

gsgary Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit

It will be here in the UK :lol:

12. kkamin

kkamin TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Whaaaat? The thing with film is that it is slowly degrading over those 100's of years, in even the most optimum conditions-- and there can be only 1 master copy. We all know this, but with digital, there is no degradation from making copies, and time has no impact over how 1's and 0's will behave. Unless you go into a coma for 100 years and miss out on industry wide transitions, I think you'll be able to keep up with changing file formats. And yes, CD-ROM's, DVDs and hard drives are not archival, so you should periodically copy your files to new and multiple sources.

I learned on film and have spent countless hours in b&w and color darkrooms. But I don't have any illusion that film will eventually die from the mainstream and be an alternative process like another poster said, like a cyanotype or a deguerrotype. Film chemistry is pure pollution anyways.

If your a film person, sorry, you're gonna need to learn Photoshop and color management.