The first of the pictures I want to take!

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by Andreal, Jul 19, 2007.

1. Andreal

Andreal TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    So shortly after I bought my camera and decided to get into photography I hit exam period and wasnt really able to get out and take photos in landscapes and nature which is what I really wanna do. Well exams are over and last week I managed to get out there!

Here are some of the photos I took, would really appreciate some C&C, I know there are alot of things I still need to learn to do better, focusing for one I noticed is a bit of a problem on a few of these pictures when blow up a bit bigger.

I think I should buy some sort of monitor calibrator too, on the monitor I edited these on they looked as good as I could make them, but when I viewed them on my other monitor they looked a little dull, I guess I will just have to wait and see how they look to you!

There is not much I can do in photoshop (read next to nothing) but in a couple of these I did one or two things in Camera RAW.

The first! I overexposed the sky a bit, tried to correct by bringing down the highlights in RAW, wasn't too successful.

[​IMG]

I loved the layers of this waterfall, when blown up some of the edges look almost pixelated...im not sure if this is a focusing issue or issue with my monitor but was very strange.
    [​IMG]

Another part of the waterfall, blew out the top, but I wanted to get the top in to give the picture a sence of size/positioning.

[​IMG]

Something about this log just seemed cool to me...damn that piece of foliage hanging down on the right!

[​IMG]

Once again, anything people can say to help me along my way will be greatly appreciated!

2. Christina

Christina TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    m always a big fan of waterfalls in b&w, but thats just me. I see what your saying about the dullness. are you using any photo editing program, or staying pretty natural?

3. Garbz

Garbz No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I suggest invest in a small tripod and a polariser. These will make nature images pop a bit more. Your monitor appears fine. The images look tonally ok here.

4. Andreal

Andreal TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Thanks for the responces! I already use a tripod, so I dunno what I can do to improve that :p. And a polariser you say, I will look into getting one asap :D, I notice there are 2 kinds though, a regular polariser and a circular polariser, any preference?

Christina, I will have to have a play around with b&w, sounds cool :D, and these are mostly natural, unedited, I might go pump up the saturatin a bit and see what results :D.

Thanks for the comments so far guys!

5. sabbath999

sabbath999 No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    circular polarizer is what you want.

6. Andreal

Andreal TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Right cool :D, Im pretty keen to go back to these ranges and go down some of the different trails, will be sure to have one with me before I set out this time :D.

Also, this is one of the pictures above with my attempt to add more "pop". Upped the contrast (Which worked wonders) and added a little saturation.

[​IMG]

7. Garbz

Garbz No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Just mentioned the tripod because the polariser will give you a 1-2 stop lighting hit when you mount it so if you didn't have one before you may need it now.

8. JIP

JIP No longer a newbie, moving up!

I don't know if it is my montor but I think you need to ply with the levels a little. Most of your images look just a little washed out.

9. Andreal

Andreal TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Sorry if this is a irritatingly simple question, but what exactly do you mean by "washed out" I think I get the general idea of what you mean, but don't understand exactly.

I have never used levels before, I just loaded them into photoshop and had no idea how to use them so im off to find a tutorial :D

Thanks for the help!

10. julie32

julie32 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    what camera settings did you use in the waterfall shots? Thanks. I think the shots are great!

11. Andreal

Andreal TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Heh I don't even remember, but Opanda is telling me I used a 3 second shutter speed with apeture F22. I wanted a deep DOF which is why I set the apeture up so high (maybe too high?), anyway, I wanted it high enough to get a "silky" look and I got that so I cant complain :D

12. ANDS!

ANDS! No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    You dont need to go down to 22 to get that kind of DOF. f/8-11 wouldve been cool.

This is my attempt at your waterfalls with PS:

[​IMG]

Levels is good to get into to start playing around and seeing what it does, but curves is a much better tool to use to use to add contrast, as well as do color corrections on a photo.

Also quick question - did you use flash on any of these?