the forum' structure should be changed

Discussion in 'Feedback and Suggestions' started by FAV, Jan 2, 2007.

1. FAV

FAV TPF Noob!

I think the structure should be chaged as it follows:
    every photo category should be a topic and everyone who post photos should post in those topics, depending on the photo theme, like this:
    Portrait
    Landscapes
    Macros
    Nature
    Abstract
    Architecture
    Still life.....

This way everyone would see everyones pictures, not like now.
    the way it is now, everyone opens a new topic is generating mess... and no one get to see too much pics.....

2. woodsac

woodsac TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    I post on a few others forums that are busy as well. Some of them are structured the way you describe.

The result is no different than here. Photos get moved and push back to another page, sometimes within hours! You just have to learn modify your search. I open one forum at a time, start at the last 'new' photo, and work my way up.

3. FAV

FAV TPF Noob!

I just think would be cleaner.. if you want portraits.. you seek portraits, nature.. you got nature...I can say that I do not come often cause it's kind of difficult to navigate...
    and one more thing, that I say it's really important : we can compare photos more easily and, this way, we can improve ourselves....but that's just imho...
    thanks for reading this.

4. THORHAMMER

THORHAMMER TPF Noob!

I have to say I am guilty of that.

I sometimes put pics in the general gallery instead of their perspective gallerys

too bad we couldnt select which category they go in, and they would all go through the general gallery first, after 2 pages back they would automatically get moved into the tagged gallerys we selected when posting.

Im sure thats too much hassle.. I gotta try to add them to the right galleries... guilty as charged

5. Big Mike

Big Mike I am Big, I am Mike Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    That's one problem with having so many specific galleries...it would take a lot of work by the moderators to keep the posts in the proper forums.

We appreciate the feed back and input. If there is enough interest in creating more specific forums, we will certainly look into in it.

6. dgs

dgs TPF Noob!

Seems like it would be largely self policing if allowed to be. The penalty for posting in the wrong forum is the photo being missed. Inappropriate forum selection, should be it be a problem, can be quickly solved by simply locking the thread . . . not as draconian as deleting it and guaranteed to get the OP's attention . . . and not terribly time consuming.

I have a lot of interest in portraits . . . . a genre in which I don't shine but would really like to someday. I have very little interest, however, in weddings or animals .

7. LaFoto

LaFoto Just Corinna in real life Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    See, we have too many possible forums already!

Had to move this into Feedback and Suggestions, since it is a suggestion to change the forum, for which we have a section of its own, yet the question was placed in the General Gallery...

8. FAV

FAV TPF Noob!

I see this like that:
    no general gallery.
    - Feedback and Suggestions and other stuff...
    - Photo gallery which will have portraits, landscapes.....
    - the single problem will be to educate the people on the forum to post on the specific gallery and this wouldn't be the moderators job...everybody search what they want and post there...the moderators wouldn't have to move pictures.
    like it is now, with a lot of galleries and topics, I couldn't find what I want...and that's ther reason for needing the moderators to move topics.....

9. EBphotography

EBphotography TPF Junkie!

Photos OK to edit
    I honesty, don't think this would work at all.

Doing something like that doesn't leave the opportunity to comment as personally and individually to a photo. There are certain people on here who I keep an eye on because I like their work, or consider them a good friend and like to comment on their photos. If we put all nature pictures in a single thread, I don't know when someone posts a new picture, even if it says someone replied, it doesn't mean they haven't simply left a comment for another person. It would make it too hectic and disorganized.

The galleries are organized into different categories for posting, and if you want a nature photo, go into the Landscape and Nature section and look at photos. If you like Landscapes but not nature, you can most of the time tell from the title.

I think it's good people are posting ideas on how to make the forum better.

10. FAV

FAV TPF Noob!

That's exactly that I don't like here !!!!!
    the fact that you and probably many others come here just to comment on some friends pics...

c'mon man, you can do that privately...

I think this forum should help us all to improve ourselves.... and that we can do just by looking at as many pictures as we can.....

If you don't look some pics just cause you dont know the photographer... I'm speachless. You clearly lose a lot (maybe you'll miss the best photos)... and I don't understand you....

11. dgs

dgs TPF Noob!

Fav wrote:

Whoa, Fav, hang on a bit. Remove the community and you may as well google images . . . you don't need a forum at all. Your post seemed a bit strident . . . maybe a language thing.

best wishes,

12. Alison

Alison Swiss Army Friend Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    While I appreciate your feedback right now we just added new galleries and reorganized. With a forum of over 10,000 members we are not able to please everyone, but we do try to make the format user friendly. As Big Mike said, we appreciate the feedback but at this time we will not be adding to the current galleries.

Also, personal attacks such as the one you just made to EBphotography are not allowed on TPF.