The ghetto DIY photography stuff thread.

Here's my DIY ringflash (with a Vivitar 283)

silvercam2036.jpg

silvercam2038.jpg

and here's a pic taken with it (I really haven't had much time to play with it since I finished making it a couple of weeks ago)

nuts.jpg

I got the design idea here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/8472611@N04/sets/72157603816045949/

cool thread..fred

With the exception of paint/glue drying time, it only took a couple of hours to build and cost me <$30 (excluding the flash itself -- which comes out easily to use elsewhere).

perfect papparazzo kit for those red-carpet entrees at cannes.

perfect papparazzo kit for those red-carpet entrees at cannes.

Nah -- it's thin aluminum. Wouldn't protect me against some guy wanting to bash my face in :lmao:

but..you can always activate ..the deathray (!) instant respect.

but..you can always activate ..the deathray (!) instant respect.

OK. How about you get me a ticket to Cannes so I can try it out :)

Anyone got any DIY samples of turning an umbrella into an umbrella? lol

I'm thinking about buying two cheap black umbrellas, keeping the black material for the backing, adding a silver material (old motorbike covers) for the inside.. plus cutting out an appropriate white sheet with velcro tabs on it to attach to the front to make a sort of softbox out of them (i know it wont be quite as good as a softbox, light spill etc).

Sounds reasonable, just wondering if anyone has converted any old umbrellas of their own that could offer some tips?

Anyone got any DIY samples of turning an umbrella into an umbrella? lol

I'm thinking about buying two cheap black umbrellas, keeping the black material for the backing, adding a silver material (old motorbike covers) for the inside.. plus cutting out an appropriate white sheet with velcro tabs on it to attach to the front to make a sort of softbox out of them (i know it wont be quite as good as a softbox, light spill etc).

Sounds reasonable, just wondering if anyone has converted any old umbrellas of their own that could offer some tips?

Umbrellas are like $20, so it seems like a lot of effort. Anyway, you don't need to make something in the shape of an umbrella, the only reason umbrellas are popular is because they collapse to a small portable size. You could just as easily bounce your flash off a white piece of cardboard or shoot through a white sheet, etc. I've tried a lot of DIY stuff, but I ended up buying light stands and umbrellas because they are much easier to work with, more reliable/durable, easier to transport and store easily.

yeah i know they're fairly cheap but i could make two of my own for like 1/4 of the price without going anywhere!

I've got two frames with white sheet i shoot through just now but they're not very portable (unless you disassemble them which means they're a pain in the butt and time consuming to put back together) - hence requirement for umbrella's.

I've got stands for my speedlights which i can attach umbrellas to ("..one i made earlier") so thought i'd try DIY'ing some in the meantime :)

Embrace the Bodge!

ghetto macro lens

take the 2 front lenses out of a pair of old binoculars.
make something to attatch em to your lens

DSC_5388ssd.jpg

pic i took with it.
on a d50 with the 18-55 kit lens

DSC_5602.jpg

Most reactions

Back