The Guitar Experiment

Discussion in 'General Gallery' started by GoM, Jun 26, 2007.

1. GoM

GoM TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    This may sound rather audacious and such, but that's the point.

I heard an anecdote in lecture that a photographer (whose name I can't remember) picked up flowers every day on the way to the studio. And he would take a photograph of those flowers, each day challenging himself to take something different than the day before.

That is my goal with this. Only instead of flowers, using two objects that I always have with me - my guitars.

For the sake of sanity, I'm going to set the arbirtrary date of two months from now (August 26) as my 'end' date. Why August 26? Why two months? No reason, but I like to think that that will give me enough time to discover and explore the various nooks, crannies, possibilities and challenges that a guitar can bring out (However, if I'm still churning out the ideas, that very well may be extended). Things like reflections in the metallic knobs, revealing the wood texture, shape, contours, various DOF effects...for something that sounds pleasing when played correctly, it sure does have a host of visual pleasantries as well.

So, we'll see how it goes.

First off, we'll start off with a rehash of something I posted a couple days ago. For now, the reflection problem has me stumped, but I'll figure something out eventuallly.

[​IMG]

2. Chris of Arabia

Chris of Arabia Herding cats since 1988... Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    Good start, I'll be interested to see how this one develops over the next couple of months

3. Karsten V

Karsten V TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Good start, it kinda bugs me that the Gretsch name is tilted more than 90 degrees. I would straighten it up.

Other than that cool idea and guitars are always fun to play with :)

4. Chris of Arabia

Photos OK to edit
    I think you'll find that the photo is aligned with the run of the strings. Looking at the Gretsch website, it would seem that they put their name at all sorts of angles on the scratch plate. Aligning the shot to the name, would make the rest of the guitar look wrong, to my eyes at any rate.

5. Karsten V

Karsten V TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I agree IF you could see the string which you cant in this shot. So aligning to the name shouldn't be a problem.

The name is the only clear line in this picture and I personally think it would look better aligned.

If teh strings were visible then they would be the main line and therefore aligning to them would be better in that case.

6. GoM

GoM TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    The Gretsch name is not perfectly aligned on purpose because that's how the guitar looks when stood straight up and viewed straight on. Not going to fix it, because to me it's not an issue as this is how the guitar 'is' when facing straight up, and adjusting it would make the curves of the body look weird ;)

7. Chiller

Chiller Mental case

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Nice shootin Stu. I like the side lighting you got on this one. I should send you my guitars....ya just gotta wipe 3 years of dust off them.:lmao:

8. Tangerini

Tangerini TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I like this and I look forward to your interpretations over the next two months. Great idea!

9. Chris of Arabia

Photos OK to edit
    Which model is it Stu? Looking forward to some inspiration for shooting my own.

10. Goldeeno

Goldeeno TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Im liking the photo, and you idea, i guess it makes you start to think a little more out the box, rather than always shooting the obvious. Keep going..

11. GoM

GoM TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    The model's a Gretsch Tennessee Rose...knock-off. You see, a family member of mine orders knock-off guitars from Asia all the time that are still very good guitars, but a fraction of the cost. I do need to get the guitar tuned up, but it plays and sounds great, and the entire cost was definately sub-$100. So it was an amazing gift for me that cost him practically nothing (especially now that his wife has now started nagging him to get rid of a couple ;))

edit: I also have a Mexican Strat that will also be a 'model' throughout this. One's a hollow-body electric (the Gretsch), and the other is a much heavier solid-body, so there's even some variations between the two that could work well.

12. GoM

GoM TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    June 27

(as a side note, what I generally do is take the photographs as part of my 'widn down' routine at night. So, what I'm posting now could be something I just shot or the night before. In this case, I shot this last night)

[​IMG]