The Hasselbird Project (a bold restoration attempt)

Discussion in 'Photography Equipment & Products' started by Dave Colangelo, Apr 27, 2016.

1. dxqcanada

dxqcanada Been spending a lot of time on here!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Really great job so far on the restoration !!

I have not thought of using steel wool (0000) on metal camera parts ... I assume that it is fine enough not to leave much marking. Looks like something else to add to my toolbox.

I do not have much suggestion for the lens elements ... I have had lenses in that state and never had a solution (other than replacement).

2. Dave Colangelo

Dave Colangelo No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    So the Amazon shipping estimates were way off and I ended up getting the lens tool and spanner today which was a nice surprise. The lens tool is basically a set of rubber rings that allow you spin on and off edge threads that have no other way to get to them.

IMG_4113.JPG

I was able to get the front element off although the threads were pretty stubborn and it took some light tapping with a rubber mallet on the sides to get it to free up. This video makes it look way easier than it is.

IMG_4116.JPG IMG_4117.JPG IMG_4115.JPG

Some muscling later and the ring was off neatly. This is one of those things where you just need the right tool and the job becomes much easier.
    IMG_4118.JPG

The front elements are in significantly better shape than the rear. The first element came out easily as well as the separator that goes between the lenses which is just a ring really.
    IMG_4119.JPG

As you can see the element is in pretty good shape. The The gunk on the front responded pretty well to napthal when it comes to getting it off.
    IMG_4121.JPG

The second element which is actually another doublet and was very stubborn and hard to get out. Took an interesting maneuver to shake it lose but I got it out. It was in the best shape of all the elements by far but still was cleaned up nicely.
    IMG_4123.JPG

This is the whole assembly outside the lens
    IMG_4124.JPG
    The second element
    IMG_4127.JPG

This is the barrel sans elements
    IMG_4125.JPG

Regards
    Dave

Attached Files:

3. Watchful

Watchful No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Surface scratches will not be noticeable in an image unless it's directly back-lit or there is glare on the lens itself. Shading the lens from direct light will prevent this effect. Take some test shots to determine if you even need to do anything else to the front element. The rear element may have a more pronounced effect on the image by reducing resolution and contrast.
    Small scratches in the front element can be reduced with a thin even coat of clear acrylic once it is completely and thoroughly cleaned. Make sure you don't let the acrylic "pile up" at the perimeter though. If you get it wrong, remove the paint and try again. :)

4. Dave Colangelo

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Unfortunately I hit a road block with the spanner being to short to get to the collet at the base of the barrel and still stick out for a good grip. This guy has a great custom pair and there is a flea market this weekend that im going to try and find something similar to craft a set. I did however try with the spanner I have and a pair of pliers. There was a near catastrophe when one of those pins fell out and hit the shutter however because of the way its built it basically fell straight though and no serious damage was done. IMG_4126.JPG
    After this I decided to step away from the barrel and go back to getting some of the gunk off the focus drive. I took it apart, cleaned it off and put it all back together
    IMG_4132.JPG IMG_4131.JPG
    I figured this would also be a good time to do a standing assembly and try out the trigger mechanism i cleaned up yesterday. Placed everything where it needed to be and lined up the shutter release

IMG_4129.JPG
    Ran though a few of the shutter speed and they work as they should. Which brings me to an interesting point worth discussing about this lens. At least one potential issue is the way the shutter lock rod is situated. Its by far the longest one in the lens set and has a large motion range. The rod is only held in place on either end which could lend to some center flex. I would have considered a center support in the design, but none the less it works.

The barrel will have to come off so that I can get to the lens and clean/oil it correctly.

Next up is
    - To find some Cerium Oxide to try and polish the rear element.
    - Build a set of spanners to get the barrel off

Regards
    Dave

5. Dave Colangelo

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Unfortunately the camera body is out for a full CLA and Im looking at a month or so before its back in my hands so test shots are out for the time being (unless someone in the Philly area has a Hasselblad and they are wiling to bring over and help with this project) The rear element is very scratched (and I don't think I have helped the situation just yet trying a few polishes on the edges). The element scratches add an air of cloudiness to it and I don't think will be of much use in its current state but its interesting how the scratches affect the image. I will try to build a rig with some ground glass so I can test the image from the lens on my bench.

Regards
    Dave

6. Dave442

Dave442 No longer a newbie, moving up!

For polishing the rear element I think you could make a plastic mold of the existing glass lens element to obtain the curve and that would then be used with the polishing slurry to remove the scratches. I think some telescope people make their own lenses so I would take a look at what they are using for polishing. However, I would try out the lens before trying something that may just make things worse.

7. Dave Colangelo

Photos NOT OK to edit
    So after some extensive looking into polishing and what not I decided to give it a shot. (Dave442 I had looked into making the reverse mold as the telescope guys do with the slurry and that was a possibility). On any note there was a bit of a mishap during the polishing and in my haste (lets be honest in my stupidity) I irreparably broke the element. I feel so ashamed its not even really worth talking about what happened. I was able to track down a guy in Europe who also restored one of these (im pretty sure he works in optics at least in some capacity) and he basically told me that the lens was so precisely made any kind of material removal greater than just some light polishing (which this would need) would alter the focal plane to a more or less unusable point. He also informed me that Hasselbald has not made parts for this lens since they dropped the V-Series stuff around 30 years ago. There was rumored to be some rear elements floating around a parts house in Europe (Possibly Hasselblad UK) but they wanted more than the value of the lens for one. At this point Im not ready to give up just yet and im going to keep hunting for a rear element. If anyone comes across one of these lenses with a destroyed front element I would be very interested!

I still have not been able to get the main tube off to CLA the main mechanics but I have some longer things coming in to make spanners with to try and get it off. I still want to try and get every thing clean and working right rear element or not.

IMG_4157.JPG IMG_4156.JPG

8. spiralout462

spiralout462 TPF Supporters Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    That's heartbreaking! I admire your courage for admitting that. Good luck!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. dxqcanada

Photos OK to edit
    UUUUU, that is a really nasty mishap !!!

10. tirediron

tirediron Watch the Birdy! Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    :(

11. Dave Colangelo

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I guess I might as well share a bit of what I was doing that led to this. I needed a way to accurately polish the lens in a timely manner so I decided to make a jig on my lathe so that I could spin the lens and polish it. The jig was made out of some old resin rod I had from another project, here is it being constructed,

IMG_4152.JPG IMG_4153.JPG

And with the lens mounted in it,
    IMG_4155.JPG

12. dxqcanada

Photos OK to edit

Hey, do you have a Unimat there ?