The importance of depth of field in shooting

Link Delight Online Shop

Official Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
First, what is the depth of field
The depth of field refers to clear focus of before and after acceptable clear area. When the very shallow depth of field, the focus plane is a very thin layer on the object falls, which in parallel to the photosensitive member where the digital camera plane. When the impact of the depth of field conditions change, such as when the lens aperture shrink, which will significantly extend the range of a clear focal plane of the lens front and rear. Through the depth of field control, the photographer can control the main picture and background environment definition.

In the basic method of composition, the use of depth of field blur background processing is very common. Use a large aperture or focal length or shorter shooting distance, you can create a shallow depth of field effect. A shallow depth of field can be complex background blur, and highlight the main subject.
$k.jpg

The figure is a lovely scene performance of a cat lying on the table. Photographer with a relatively shallow depth of field, the main subject highlight, creating a beautiful and soft bokeh picture effect.

Second, the influence factors of depth of field
When specific shooting, photographs should be used deep depth of field, depending on the photographer's message. Top left to show a close-up of a pet dog, shot with f/3.2, shallow depth of field, focusing on pet dog's eyes, the dog's eyes are perfectly manifested.
$kk.jpg

In creation of photography, the three main factors affecting the depth of field below, we can adjust these items to change the depth of field effect.
1 The size of the aperture when shooting
2 lens focal length
3 distance of the camera and the subject

Depth of field specific relationship with the three elements as follows.

Aperture size: the larger the aperture, the smaller the aperture value, the more shallow depth of field; smaller the aperture, the larger the aperture value, the deeper the depth of field.
Lens focal length: the longer the focal length, the shallower the depth of field; shorter the focal length, the deeper the depth of field.
Shooting distance: The closer the camera and the subject distance, the more shallow depth of field; the farther the camera and the subject distance, the deeper depth of field.

Last edited:
Third, the depth-of-field with the foreground and background

1, Foreground Focus Shooting
We all know that in the viewfinder, the image in the viewfinder screen will be divided into two parts, foreground and background. Foreground is closest to the camera part, the foreground of focus shooting, foreground will stand out as the main picture. Usually when the background screen is very messy and we can focus on the foreground shooting, make the background blur, thus weakening the adverse effects of the background.
$kk1.jpg

2, Background Focus Shooting
Background is located in the back of the body or near the back of the person or things. Background in the lens footage is corresponds to the foreground, sometimes as the main body of performance or accompany body.

Background focus shooting, the background will be the performance as the subject, then part of the scene outside will be blurred. This kind of false or true contrast photos tend to be left a very deep impression.
$kk2.jpg

Normal shooting generally require a clear focus, so that the main subject is clearly presented. But sometimes, have a destination in the picture to make part of the scenery focus blur, is also one of photography performance techniques. Such as in the picturs, by selectively put foreground foliage in focus outside, photographer intentionally crossed the foreground, reflection to focus only on the rear surface of the trees, so let the leaves become the accompany foreground, giving a deep impression of virtual-real comparison.

3, The depth of field control method
Shooting flowers in the flower at different apertures to create a different depth of field effects, visible changes with the aperture, the screen depth of field also changes from the picture.
$kkk.jpg

4, Get maximum and minimum depth of field methods
To control the depth of field is one of the basic techniques of photography, we can expand the depth of field, so that all subjects are clearly visible on the screen. We can also reduce the depth of field, only show the main objects clearly, so that make the secondary object blur and faded. Depth of field effects influence the composition of the photo is very obvious.

How to get the deepest depth of field? We can get through the following three measures in the deepest depth of field:
· Try to use the wide end of the lens or short focal length lens
· When shooting, try to lengthen the shooting distance
· Minimize the aperture

Sometimes, those who want to shoot pictures with virtual and reality, such as the virtual environment, let the subject clear, shallow depth of field technology is required, that is "selective focus." How to get a minimum depth of field? Similarly there are three measures:
· Try to use the lens maximum focal length or use a telephoto lens for shooting
· Distance is closer to the subject as far as possible
· Try to use maximum aperture

5, Through the aperture control depth of field
Although this three elements can control depth of field effect, but most operability in the creative photography is adjust the aperture. Because change the focal length or shooting distance will change the picture of the overall composition and perspective, if the picture of the composition and the perspective have determined that it is only by changing the aperture to control the depth of field.

Last edited:
How about rewriting this so it at least resembles correct grammar.

I just felt my IQ level drop reading that.

Helpful article for beginners, but it needs some serious revision.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Sorry, Maybe there is some wrong grammar in my article, but I will modify carefully later.

I just felt my IQ level drop reading that.

Helpful article for beginners, but it needs some serious revision.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Sorry, Maybe there is some wrong grammar in my article, but I will modify carefully before I publish.

Fourth, background controlled by adjusting the degree of blur
In the three elements that affect depth of field, the shooting distance (the distance between the lens and the subject's) plays an important role. There are two ways to change the shooting distance: First, move the camera to change the distance between the camera and the subject, the second is to change the distance between the subject and the background. When changing the distance to the subject and the background, other factors are held constant. At this time depth of field will not change, but because the background is farther from clear range of depth of field, so the background blur effect in the photo will be more intense.

Five, control depth of field by adjusting the focal length
We can also adjust the lens focal length to control the depth of field. The shorter focal length, the deeper depth of field of the screen; longer the focal length, the shallower the depth of field of the screen.
But in the actual shooting, adjust the focus length tend to be subject to many limitations, because of the changes will also change the viewing angle and framing range, but the viewing angle is often the most important factor of determining the composition of a photograph. So chang the focal length is often not the photographer the preferred depth-of-field control.
$1.jpg$2.jpg

When can be controlled by adjusting the focal depth of field on earth? If the subject is relatively simple, shooting point can be moved back and forth, the picture is no obvious perspective relationship, you can use this method to control the depth of field.

Using wide Angle lens near the sculpture in the picture, background blur degree is not enough, but still can see the elements in the background; At this point, the photographer stand back, convert the telephoto lens, shallow depth of field immediately a lot of picture. And left photo, using wide Angle lens indoor shot big scene cannot simply adjust the focal length to control the depth of field.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back