The importance of documenting life

How often do you get in FRONT of the camera?

• Total voters

tinycomet

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I've been playing around with cameras since I was about 15 years old when I picked up my dad's old Pentax ME Super (not realizing how amazing it actually was until it was stolen from my home in my late 20s). I'm 36 now.

I didn't start taking photography seriously until I was about 27. Very late, really. I shot weddings and fashion. Guess which one was the money-maker? I now work as the staff photographer at a major corporation here in Salt Lake City, Utah.

It's been a fantastic ride, and I can't wait for what the future holds.

But I don't think I realized until this particular experience at work about 2 years ago, the value of letting yourself be in front of the camera. I have 2 kids myself, and not having very many pictures of my own dad who passed away when I was just 12, I know the importance of creating a sort of record of my having actually existed.

We photographers tend to hide behind the camera a lot. Then there's those who just hate being in front of it.

So I'd like to share a video I made for those who are hiding too much. I hope you enjoy, and I hope it inspires you to get out from behind the camera if you don't already do so regularly

Raji

Can't tell if sincere post or spam.

I meant it as a sincere post. I mean the show is a mixture of comedy and sillyness generally, but in this episode I wanted to talk about the value of photography and basically saying "please stop hiding from the camera". Myself included.

My father took thousands of photos of our family between 1947 until 1984 when he died.
There are very, very few photos of him,and it always made me conscious of putting myself in the pic with my own kids so at least they have something to look at when I'm dead.
Looking around now,there ain't that many of me either.

My father took thousands of photos of our family between 1947 until 1984 when he died.
There are very, very few photos of him,and it always made me conscious of putting myself in the pic with my own kids so at least they have something to look at when I'm dead.
Looking around now,there ain't that many of me either.
I still struggle with the same actually... Despite having learned my own lesson about this, it's still hard to get in front of the camera. I don't mind being out in front, but I just don't usually find myself in a position where I can be. And I'm not vain enough to take a million selfies haha

I encountered an individual once that insisted that I be with my family while he took a picture of us. It was a thoughtful gesture. I have been more aware of that lately but I doubt there is ONE picture of me from this past Christmas day. :)

While visiting my parents a few months back, I was handed my high school yearbook. I thought I had lost it, and we don't know how they ended up with it.

Anyway.... I was thumbing through it, and realized I was in only two photos. My 'formal' senior portrait, and a shot of the concert band.

Then I had an epiphany. The reason I'm in only those two images is because I took the better part of 1/3 of the candid shots and well over half the informal group photos in the book.

That said, I really don't care if I'm in front of a camera or not. I'd much rather be behind it.

I avoid having my picture taken when possible, tolerate it when it absolutely has to be taken.

it's so interesting to see the variety of experiences and opinions on the subject. For me now, it seems so obvious that there are people who care about me who will still want to see me after I've died.

I avoid having my picture taken when possible, tolerate it when it absolutely has to be taken.

Why do you avoid it so much snowbear?

Witness protection program ;)

jk. I'm just not comfortable having my photo taken or being the center of attention (birthday parties, etc.) I never have been.

Witness protection program. I was just gonna guess that!! hahaha ;)

Three basic rules ...

1) Don't stand behind a horse or a mule.

2) Don't drink downstream of any animal.

3) Don't get in front of a camera, goat or bull.

Three basic rules ...

1) Don't stand behind a horse or a mule.

2) Don't drink downstream of any animal.

3) Don't get in front of a camera, goat or bull.

lol, so I take it you answered "Never" in the poll? ;)

Get some videos including voice recordings as well. It would have been nice to have them of my folks before they died.
Totally agree Alan. I'm actually trying to make more of an effort to capture and catalog video, although... Right now it's all of my kids. I only exist in still image form here and there.

Most reactions

Back