The iPad - Just What a Photographer Wants

Well, I've been considering buying a Kindle, so I'm eager to see what it looks like IRL for reading text ...

I would bet that the Kindle display is better for reading. It doesn't get much better than that for reading text.

The iPad has so much potential. Give it two or three more iterations and it might be something useful.

I haven't read entirely too much about it, but I would need wifi connectivity and the ability to access my server with it. If you could use it to connect to a server and draw files and stuff from there, that would make it much more useful in my book.

The camera absence is a let down too. Being able to walk around and conference with people would just be awesome.
It would appear it has the same basic limitations that the iPhone and iPod have, that being the iPhone OS. It can only use 128MB of runtime memory and by the time all the system resources are loaded you have about 40MB to work with. Just like the iPhone you'll have to keep clearing your memory (I use FreeMem) to prevent crashes and to keep things running as quickly as possible.

But since it has such a small amount of runtime memory, you won't be able to have a truly dynamic web experience with things like Flash.

It can connect to Dropbox or Mobile Me to move documents around. It will also have a VNC client (they have one for the iPhone already) so you can remotely access other desktops. The interface with the touch SUCKS when doing this, but at least the screen is a little bigger. Maybe with the keyboard it will be a little easier to use... assuming you know all of your keyboard commands.

This device would have been so much more interesting (or interesting at all) if it were OSX with touch screen functionality of the iphone/ipod touch. Currently, it's just an oversized ipod touch.

Microsoft comes up with devices like the Courier every year or so and they always just slowly die off as the development team loses interest and moves on to something else. I'll put merit into one of their devices when I see one in stores.

As far as photography is concerned I'd like to see a device slightly larger than phone. Maybe 4.5 to 5" screen capable with built in CF and SD with software capable calibration. Adobe is willing to create mobile versions of Photoshop and other software. They made a mobile Photoshop for Android. I don't believe there is any drive from HW/SW manufacturers to create something like this though.

I want an iPad... like I want a third nostril. But I'm glad to see the market keeps introducing different devices that try new things. It really appeals to my wife, who's primary source of content has become the internet. She has a desktop for work and communications, but is often in bed with her laptop. I find the iPad pretty affordable in that context. But I also agree that it isn't a Reader.

Worst product ever. It's a large iPod Touch with the capability of having 3G. Woop de freakin do.

I have an iPhone. It does the same **** as the iPad plus it fits in my pocket. If I'm so hard up for technology that I need to spend 5-800 bucks to have a bigger iPhone, then I should consider spending that money on seeing a therapist for my social problems rather than a large phone.

Apple is very good at repackaging the same product over and over and making people want it. I am an Apple user and I own a lot of their products but I am amazed on a daily basis by these people that lust after every product Apple makes.

Yes, because I'd love to waste my money on an overrated Apple product that will probably bork within 6 months.

Save your money, buy some QUALITY photo gear instead. That's just me, I'm not a fan of having my savings account raped.

They should rebrand the iPhone Touch into the iPad Nano, they'd sell more of them instantly!

Yeah, it'll be so easy to show-off your photos; you just need to pop in your memory card, connect your camera with a USB cable or beam them over.

Oh, wait...

Yeah, it'll be so easy to show-off your photos; you just need to pop in your memory card, connect your camera with a USB cable or beam them over.

Oh, wait...

God forbid it actually do something useful. :lol:

Oh, wait...

Not to mention for those of us (quite a few of us...) that shoot RAW, even if they fixed that issue we wouldn't be able to view our photos. For the same price as this, I just got me a small, very lightweight 1" thick, 13" screen, laptop with a Dual Core 64 bit processor, 4gb of RAM, ad 320gb hard drive....so not only will I be able to view them on a compact device, I could even do fairly speedy editing on the fly if I want.

iproduct-feel-special.jpg

I own an iPhone, and even it's not all it's hyped up to be IMO.

Apple products are overrated, period. I'm even kicking myself for having a Macbook.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back