The Job from HELL

Discussion in 'General Shop Talk' started by That One Guy, May 4, 2008.

1. That One Guy

That One Guy TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    So I have a friend approach me to photograph his daughter's graduation reception. Normally I am just a portrait photog, but what the hell I'll try event photography. We discuss the when and where and of course the $$ (I gave him a friend discount). The reception was to be held outside.....in my mind I'm thinking Hell yeah!! He wanted candid type photographs (his words:"just walk around taking pics of everybody") and he wanted just a couple of portraits.....again I'm thinking Hell yeah!!

My plan: Take 1 off cam flash. capture some photos and do some really nice portraits. I would have loved to have taken my laptop and other lighting, but no electric. oh well, at least i have the good ol' sun as my main light :) and this 1 flash as my fill.

easy right? wrong!!

here's where it all went to hell:

The reception was being held inside. inside?:stun: what the hell happened to outside? "oh sh#t!!!" i'm thinking to myself. if i had known this i would have brought more stuff to do a better job.
    to make matters worse.......the place was lit with fluorescent lights. mixing off cam flash with fluorescent lights!!!!! "F@#K ME!!!" i'm screaming inside my head. wb nightmare

now the job was for 1 hour worth of pic snapping. well people didn't start showing up until my hour was almost up. he was getting upset because this moment was special to him and people weren't there to share in it. had this been any other client i would have said "time is up. sorry no one showed" but this is a friend so now i extend my time limit. the guests that arrived early were drunk on moonshine by the time the other guests got there. nice! now i have to worry about my stuff gettin f'd up

the whole time i am taking pics and dodging drunks, i am worried about wb and colors in the post work and wondering how well it will all turn out. i am way out of my element on this. i want to do a good job because alot of people took my biz cards. if he tells them "hey this guy does terrible work" then sell the sh#thouse cause i've lost my a$$.

i just got back and took a look at some of the pics and i have alot of post work to do...mostly wb issues :sad anim:

one good thing did come out of it.......a city official was there and wants to use my services for their events. :)

lesson learned:
    no more photography jobs from friends

2. JIP

JIP No longer a newbie, moving up!

Well the main lesson you should have learned is that as a profesional photographer you should be prepared for every potential situation. If you hve an outside shoot planned you should be ready for the skies to open up and make it necesarry for you to move inside. If you have in inside shoot you should be prepred for the building to burn down and make it necesarry for you to go outside. One of the things that makes you a "professional" is having a big bag of triks that will make you ready for any possibility.

3. JimmyO

JimmyO TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Dang!
    Did they enjoy the shoots?

4. Snyder

Snyder TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    why didnt you just custom wb your camera to the availible lighting?

5. JIP

Read my post....

6. That One Guy

That One Guy TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit

as i stated before, i do portrait photography not event photography. in the studio i can control everything. this was my first event shoot and i will be more than prepared the next time.

7. That One Guy

That One Guy TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit

i think they may have enjoyed the moonshine a bit more tho.....lol :mrgreen:

nah we all had fun and i learned a great deal so it wasn't all bad

8. kellylindseyphotography

kellylindseyphotography TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    yup, gonna need to see the pics now...

9. Rhys

Rhys TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    It wasn't the job from hell. It was the job that may well have opened you up to other photographic opportunities and possibilities.

10. That One Guy

That One Guy TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    i don't post client photos on the web without discussing it with them first. if they give the ok then i will post a few.

11. That One Guy

That One Guy TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    i hope so. it could very well put me on the map here :)

even though i was less than fully prepared for the event, i enjoyed it. it was full of challenges.

12. JIP

Well hopefully this will be a good learning experience for you. Go out and buy a big big bag that will hold everything you need plus backps and more for the extenuating circumstances. But I guess this is only if you plan to do more location work.